Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, new to Jets, Many Questions

RangerJet
    I'm new to Jet boats, have many questions.
    I have a 1978 17' Ranger (yes Ranger, no bass seats) 360 AMC/ Panther Jet 450G. I Have run this one season. Primarily I'm interested in your opinions on Place Diverters & Jetovators. The boat runs bout 65 per the speedo, the roost is about 75 feet, or so the Skiers say.I would like to be able to knock the roost down for skiing, tubing etc. What would be the best way to go, the Diverter or the Jetovator?
    Also, is a rudder really effective? Any input would be appreciated Thanks.

Kwicherbichen
    You have questions......No, I have questions. How in the world are you shooting a 75 foot full time rooster without a diverter? I mean you kinda make it sound that way. Maybe you have some wedges in there?
    I don't no anything about panther jets, so I don't even know if there are diverter options for you. You could call around to some pump shops in your area and ask about your options. Maybe you could post a picture of your pump and someone can make a better suggestion. Here's one in your area:
    Walt's HB Service
    930 N. Carpenter Rd. #D
    Modesto, CA 95351
    (209)521-WALT Fax#(209)521-7088
    Lastly, the rudder is probably more of an option than anything. I thought I really should have one until mine broke. Turns out it really wasn't that effective. Take it off and see for yourself.
    Brian
    [This message has been edited by Kwicherbichen (edited March 21, 2002).]

beached1
    I have heard that there are some models of Panthers that shoot a full time rooster tail, but that's it. You can't adjust them at all. I have a buddy that has a 20.5' Marlin with a Panther. I think he said you can only go through Panther Jet for a "Place" type diverter. Look in one of your old ***boat mags. They always run an add with their # somewhere near the back.

HavasuDreamin'
    Was reading the most recent issue of Hot Boat Mag. last night and saw an add for Panther Pumps indicating that diverters are available. The add is towards the back in the lower right hand corner. Good Luck!

Cas
    Ranger,
    Some of the Panthers were designed to shoot the roost all the time but I haven't heard of one that was as big as yours.
    Most of the aftermarket items like a jetavator or a place diverter will not work on a Panther. If you want a quick fix, you can get nozzle blocks from Panther for about $25.00 or so. If you want a diverter, you can get it done by Panther for around $800.
    The best thing to do would be to call Steve at Panther directly. The number is 541-836-7641.
    Panther has quite a few options nowadays to upgrade their pumps.

flat broke
    I see that Cas already has you headin in the right direction by calling Steve at Panther. They make the ONLY diverter that you should use on your pump. ADM(bad reputation, and rightfully so) has done a mod where they cut and paste a berk nozle adapter on a Panther so you can run a Place diverter, but it doesn't work for shit and in the end, you'll chuck it and have to pony up to Panther for a new stator housing to repair the damage. There is one thing that could be causing your tail (though I don't know about 75' back) If you aren't running the plastic cover over the jet you will notice two tangs that project from the pump where the cover used to bolt on. Have someone in a tube, or another boat follow behind you and to the side while you are going straight on plane. They should be able to see if those tangs are hitting the water. If they are and you don't plan on puting the cheesy cover back on (serves no purpose) you could cut them off and grind them smooth with the pump. If they're draging this could be worth a couple of MPH and will reduce some of the spray behind the boat.
    As far as diverters are concerned the Panther unit is the only one out there that works with their pump, but it has some issues. 1. You're not going to get a big rooster tail no mater what you do. 2. The handle they supply is a standard Morse control handle and as such doesn't lock into position. If you wanted to save a couple of bucks you could tell Panther to keep their handle and buy a Place Controls manual handle, or take one of the Rex/Eddie/CP control handles with the detent mechanism, mill in additional detents and use that instead. If you do go the diverter route with the Panther you will have enough down nozzle to quell that little rooster tail you've got.
    Lastly, you'll hear a lot of people that will tell you to trash the Panther and get something different. If your goal is to have a jet driven family boat that might run up to 65-70mph, you'll be just fine with the Panther. They're solid pumps, come stock with an SS impeller and an adjustable ride plate. However they are an axial flow setup and as such can't compete with the Berkeley/Legened/Dominator/Aggressor mixed flow pumps at high speeds. The good news for you as a skier is they probably come out fo the hole a little harder than a stock mixed flow pump with equal horsepower.
    Good luck and welcome to the boards,
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

funkytown
    Ranger jet I'm glad to hear that someone else is panther powered. They are great pumps, they just won't achieve the speeds as the mixed flow pumps. Steve at panther is a great guy and will help you every bit he can. As far as their diverter, all it is, is a machined stador housing with an adjustable 3" stainless steel square tube. that pivits up and down. It will trim the boat, but will not throw a very impressive roost. As far as the control it is not locking but if you pull it up or down, once you let go it goes back to the nuetral position, straight out the back. I have one and if you have any kind of machining or fabrication experience you could biuld it your self for half the price. I have been working on an experiment, making a droop snoot style nozzle. That part is done, I cut the nozzle off right behind the pins, that hold the gate and steering head in place. Then welded a 4" square tube to that with a 22 degree drop. Than welded another 4" tube reverse 23 degrees to give a 1 degree positive angle. Witing on the rear nozzle from the shop so I can finish that. It will have another set of pins ( to pivit) so I can Trim from the rear instead of up in side the housing. I think it is going to work out great. Lower the nozzle about 4 1/2" and have a place style diverter. When I finish all let all you guys know how it worked. funkytown

RangerJet
    Hey thanks guys for all the input, The whole Jet boat scene is new to me. I Had a few I/O's in the past but they were nothing like driving a Jet. Hope to tame that rooster, so i can quit drownin the kids. I dont think i would say its a full time rooster tail, but at tubing speed, 20+ if i get anyone behind the boat at 50' they get hammered(and i try to tell the kids that tubing is fun =]). Same for Skiing at Speed at 75', its not like chest high or anything but it'll get ya as you cut through.
    Flat Broke, thanks for the word on ADM, I had looked at their diverter on the net.
    But really, thanks everyone for the input, this was my first post on the boards.
    My boat is about to enter project phase, interior , paint and some tunes. So I may need y'all some more. I'll keep you posted and get some pics soon.
    Thanks again
    Troy

Wet Dream
    Did he say y'all?????
    [This message has been edited by Wet Dream (edited March 23, 2002).]

Bubbledeck2
    If you can get 65mph out of that 360 AMC and Panther I'm dumping my BBF and Berkley ;-)
    As for Walt's Hot Boat Service, I have met and dealt with him and I don't know of a better boat shop in central cal. Walt is honest, fair, does good work and won't put his hand too deep in your pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast