Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone A Home Air Conditioning Expert?

dasburb
    My 30 year old home AC unit needs replaced. They are giving me an estimate for $6500 for a new high efficiency unit installed, heater and all. 4.5 ton unit. 10 year warranty. Does this sound like a fair deal?

Freak
    My 30 year old home AC unit needs replaced. They are giving me an estimate for $6500 for a new high efficiency unit installed, heater and all. 4.5 ton unit. 10 year warranty. Does this sound like a fair deal?
    What SEER and is this is a heat pump and what brand?

Boozer
    What brand is the unit? Also how many square feet is your home?
    I just went through the whole Heating/AC deal in my fathers house and found out a couple things. Most importantly that the size of unit you pick is the most crucial part.
    If the unit is to big it will switch on and off constantly due to the fact that it will cool your home down VERY fast but the cool air will dissipate quickly. If the unit is to small the unit will run to often for to long and your electric bill is going to sky rocket.
    You also want to check out the efficieny rating on the unit. The lower end units waste a lot more energy then a mid-high end unit but the cost difference between low end unit and mid-high end unit is usually 2-3K higher.
    When all was said and done it cost about $8,500 for my fathers system and that included all of the duct work and vents due to the fact that his home never had central heat and ac before. I believe the system we had installed is a 4 ton unit. His house is 1850 sqft.
    Hope this helps.

JetBoatRich
    More information as said above is needed.
    I am not an expert I did sta at a Holiday Inn Express Last night

Tom Brown
    If the unit is to big it will switch on and off constantly due to the fact that it will cool your home down VERY fast but the cool air will dissipate quickly.
    Yes and it will be very clamy due to the larger units lack of ability to take humidity out of the air.
    If the unit is to small the unit will run to often for to long and your electric bill is going to sky rocket.
    I've never heard of that.
    They taught us to calculate the cooling load for the house and size the unit so it has to run constantly on the hottest day of the year. This, we were told, is the most comfortable and efficient unit to select.

dasburb
    My house is about 2200 square feet, 2 story. I believe this is a heat pump unit being that the ac unit is outside, and the gas fired heater is inside. I am not sure of the seer rating as my wife is at home and got the estimate for us. The unit they are quoting us on is actually a 5 ton, high effieciency unit made by American Standard. They are giving us a "commercial" rate being the company that is giving us the estimate does the work at my wife's law firm. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Greaser
    If it gas fired heat, then its not a heat pump. Heat pumps have back up electric heat strips. 5 tons seems like the right size unit for the size of your house. Do you know what seer it is?
    If I was quoting this job for my buisness, my bid would be roughly around $5000. That would be for a 5 ton 12 seer gas heat unit. If you wanted 14 seer, it would be $600 more. But I'm sure the cost of living is higher over there then it is in Texas.

jas0502
    I'm a controller of an ac company. Doesnt sound like you have a heat pump. Need to know seer rating, and size of old unit to compare pricing. Also duct size is important. If they upgrade the size of the unit and not the ducts, it wont run correclty and you wont be happy.

Hal
    I can do a 5 ton 12 SEER system for around $4300.00 or a 5 ton 14 SEER with a variable speed furnace for about $6350.00. Would have to look at job before I cound give you a firm bid. Were in Corona,let me know. Hal
    They don't make a 4.5 ton unit.

syke-o
    i need a quote on just the outside unit.. the unit is an old westinghouse and i got the model number off of it, but i cant tell the tonage or the seer #?? how can i tell those 2 things?? any website i can go to???
    model # SS042CAW
    style - 3973A03G01

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast