Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: The Rev. Williams Engine Project

HBjet
    Jerry, sucks your motor isn't making your boat perform the way you wanted...
    Are you using this same air cleaner?
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...24IMG_2263.JPG
    I would try a few runs without it, and at least gut it. I know the ones I used to have on my motor were pretty restrictive.
    Also, are the plug wires the same wires you had before the motor build? If so, I would get a new set of wires, or at least test your current set to make sure they are working correctly, and even double check the plugs. When I had my motor built, I used my old set of Blue MSD wires since they were one year old. When I first ran the boat, I could only turn 5600rpm with my B impeller. Then at CBBB 2 months later I was only turning 5400rpm and I thought there was no way the heat could bring my RPM down this much. After taking the motor back to DNE, we found a bad plug wire and a bad spark plug, even though the plugs were new. Once we replaced the plugs and wires, took the boat out and she hit and still hits 6000rpm. So I would check the wires.
    Lastly, I don't know if someone has asked this or yet, but have you checked to see if WOT on your (foot pedal or hand throttle) is truly WOT on your carb, and if your secondaries are truly opening up all the way as well.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet

Carnivalride
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...24IMG_2263.JPG
    I would try a few runs without it, and at least gut it. I know the ones I used to have on my motor were pretty restrictive.
    Also, are the plug wires the same wires you had before the motor build? If so, I would get a new set of wires, or at least test your current set to make sure they are working correctly, and even double check the plugs. So I would check the wires.
    Lastly, I don't know if someone has asked this or yet, but have you checked to see if WOT on your (foot pedal or hand throttle) is truly WOT on your carb, and if your secondaries are truly opening up all the way as well.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet
    Excellent suggestions there HBjet!
    On my boat the scoop with the filter killed 200rpm vs scoop only, I've also has plug wires fail in between outings. All I could figure was pulling them off and setting them aside to take plug readings must have damaged them. Of course it ran fine the time before so I was real confused when it had a miss the next week.

Rev. Williams
    Jerry, sucks your motor isn't making your boat perform the way you wanted...
    Also, are the plug wires the same wires you had before the motor build? If so, I would get a new set of wires, or at least test your current set to make sure they are working correctly, and even double check the plugs. When I had my motor built, I used my old set of Blue MSD wires since they were one year old. When I first ran the boat, I could only turn 5600rpm with my B impeller. Then at CBBB 2 months later I was only turning 5400rpm and I thought there was no way the heat could bring my RPM down this much. After taking the motor back to DNE, we found a bad plug wire and a bad spark plug, even though the plugs were new. Once we replaced the plugs and wires, took the boat out and she hit and still hits 6000rpm. So I would check the wires.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet
    Whats up Randy !!
    It's the same air cleaner, but it's gutted. Also, I've run it at Havasu without the engine hatch and no air cleaner with no difference.
    These are the same plug wires, they look good, but I'll replace them also.
    As for the WOT, thats the first thing I checked... She's wiiiiide open !
    Thanks for the ideas... I'll let you know what I get.

565edge
    No Sh it?? I've seen them to the rail, but never through it... What kind of number should I be looking for from the bottom up to the Prop Shaft?? Without seeing it, I can tell you that I'm close to 0.00
    What was yours at? and what type of speeds did you see, Also, with what power??
    I had a 565 chevy in it but never completed the project.Sold to a buddy less motor and bought a house.Go into image center and look up 565edge.I have pics of the boat.The bottom on my boat was a little different than a standard one.It was meant for a blackhawk outdrive and the floor is raised up.Youll see in the pics.My friend is just now finishing the boat.400hp big block.We should beable to run it in a couple of weeks.Ill let you know the progress.Your prop shaft is probally 3-4 inches below the center tunnel.

Rev. Williams
    I had a 565 chevy in it but never completed the project.Sold to a buddy less motor and bought a house.Go into image center and look up 565edge.I have pics of the boat.The bottom on my boat was a little different than a standard one.It was meant for a blackhawk outdrive and the floor is raised up.Youll see in the pics.My friend is just now finishing the boat.400hp big block.We should beable to run it in a couple of weeks.Ill let you know the progress.Your prop shaft is probally 3-4 inches below the center tunnel.
    I measured it last night and the prop-line is 5 1/2" below the boat..... I guess this is why there is never a roost of my boat.
    I'll check out the pics today. Thanks.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    I measured it last night and the prop-line is 5 1/2" below the boat..... I guess this is why there is never a roost of my boat.
    I'll check out the pics today. Thanks.
    That is your problem, mine is 6". 3" is good, you need a shorty. Mine is a deckboat and the X dim was cut low to run a Bravo-3. I took off the XZ drive and put back on the B-3. Now the motor turns 5800 (400 to much). I have a 28 foot deckboat that is 4800 lb's. My motor dynoed @ 550.

Rev. Williams
    That is your problem, mine is 6". 3" is good, you need a shorty. Mine is a deckboat and the X dim was cut low to run a Bravo-3. I took off the XZ drive and put back on the B-3. Now the motor turns 5800 (400 to much). I have a 28 foot deckboat that is 4800 lb's. My motor dynoed @ 550.
    Okay then..... Does anyone want to donated cash for that IMCO shorty in the spam section???

Just Electric
    ill donate a 18 pack and my help to put it in

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    Okay then..... Does anyone want to donated cash for that IMCO shorty in the spam section???
    I guess the real question is how did you get the speed and RPM with the old motor and the same drive? Did you change something during the motor rebuild? :rollside:

Rev. Williams
    I guess the real question is how did you get the speed and RPM with the old motor and the same drive? Did you change something during the motor rebuild? :rollside:
    That is the $1000 question !!
    As for changes, I've done nothing... The motor was pulled out, built up, and dropped back in. Everything around it 100% the same.
    I've now replaced the old plug wires with the MSD 8.5 wires and the carb is off and is going in for a full rebuild and upgrade. If this donest help out I'l either go after the shorter lower, or wait til winter and pull the motor out to put it on a DYNO. At that point I can try new heads, intakes and whatever until I get just what I want.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425