Thread: Dual Battery Questions....

OliverM5
    I'm looking to add a second battery to the boat for my new stereo....few questions:
    1) I have a deep cycle in the boat now - should the new second battery be a deep cycle or a regular battery?
    2) How do I wire it to my existing deep cycle battery?
    3) Should I keep all the existing connections where they are (attched to the deep cycle) and route the new stereo cables to the new battery, or to the deep cycle?
    Thanks....

andy01
    I'm looking to add a second battery to the boat for my new stereo....few questions:
    1) I have a deep cycle in the boat now - should the new second battery be a deep cycle or a regular battery?
    2) How do I wire it to my existing deep cycle battery?
    3) Should I keep all the existing connections where they are (attched to the deep cycle) and route the new stereo cables to the new battery, or to the deep cycle?
    Thanks....
    1. Deep Cycle
    2. Perko switch
    3. Wire the stereo to the new battery so you can turn the perko to that battery and listen to it all day with out worrying if your boat will start or not. Then just turn your perko switch to the other battery and start your boat. you could run the boat on both to charge both when you are driving your boat. Just remember if it is on both it will not get a true charge and if you listen to your stereo on both, both could go dead then you are dead in the water.
    Andy

OliverM5
    1. Deep Cycle
    2. Perko switch
    3. Wire the stereo to the new battery so you can turn the perko to that battery and listen to it all day with out worrying if your boat will start or not. Then just turn your perko switch to the other battery and start your boat. you could run the boat on both to charge both when you are driving your boat. Just remember if it is on both it will not get a true charge and if you listen to your stereo on both, both could go dead then you are dead in the water.
    Andy
    Which is a good deep cycle battery?
    If I have an existing battery "switch" in my boat, is that usable?
    How do I avoid the problem of not getting a true charge? Switch between bat 1 and 2 when driving every so often?
    Thanks for the help....

Blownboat
    Why wouldn't it charge both of them at the same time on both????

riverroyal
    1st start of the trip,start the boat on both batteries,then switch to battery 1 for day,then battery 2 for a day,if the stereo drain s the battery too much,then switch the perko to both to start the boat,then back to the low battery once im up and running

Havasu Hangin'
    Why wouldn't it charge both of them at the same time on both????
    Two batteries are twice the load, which will heat up your alternator faster. Since there's no air circulating in your bilge...you should probably try to minimize heat.