Thread: Electrical experts...

burbanite
    Well, my intention was to show you folks what it is like boating in Indiana during the middle of November.
    Fired up at the shop during the week and all seemed fine. I topped up the battery on Thursday with a trickle charge just to make sure, I did notice that the indicated charge was much less than usual but put that down to a fully charged battery.
    Got to the ramp yesterday and nothing but sad clicking of the starter solenoid! Visually checked the wiring, everything was tight, changed a couple of connectors that had a hint of corrosion in the wires and basically made sure everything was where it needed to be. Guage indicated 12 volts so hooked up a jumper and eventually fired. Couldn't run long enough to charge so I launched and jump started it in the water and went out on the lake. Ran around for a while, went back to the dock, stopped and started a few times so we went out for an hour or so, all seemed normal so I figured that either the charger had malfunctioned or I had not hooked it up properly.
    We had been tied up for a couple of hours and decided to go out for a run after a guy turned up with an Eliminator tunnel/540 BBC and wanted some company. It fired up fine but as we were idling out my co-pilot pointed to the guage which was now pegged to the right! We messed with it for a while but made no headway and had to call it a day as, if the guage was correct, it would have fried the battery and who knows what else.
    I am thinking there might be a problem with the voltage regulator on the alternator? Does anyone have an opinion?
    One of the biggest p*** offs is that I wanted to get some pics of the fog cover to make you West Coasters jealous http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif, 30' visibility, pea soup!!!!! I had the camera in the boat and framed up the shot and guess what.....flat batteries!!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif

Costello
    Sounds like the voltage regulator to me too. The automotive type alternators are prone to malfunction when exposed to the moisture of a marine application. They make sealed alternators but they are expensive as hell. When they go they always do the same thing, peg the charge on the gauge. It will blow the walls out of the battery in no time. I had one swell up like a beach ball once before I noticed.

mister460
    Costello is right. Sounds like a regulator to me. When they go bad they can do all sorts of neat things. Like over charging, under charging, draining the battery while everything is off, flickering charge, etc. If the battery discharged, then you got it running with little charge in the battery you can fry the alternator and regulator. It's called "alternator death". It happens because the regulator "full fields" the alternator to compensate for the dead battery. Basically, it totally OVERcompensates for the lack of juice. Start by replacing the regulator (if it is external) then get a new alternator. Sounds like you need a new battery, too. Unless it's a deep cycle type battery, one COMPLETE discharge will reduce the battery to 80% for the rest of it's life. More than two or three full discharges and the battery is at something like 12%. Not good. Get an Optima red top and you will never have a problem. Hope that helps.

Jetmugg
    Burbanite:
    Where are you located in Indiana. I'm in Terre Haute myself - maybe we can get some Hoosier jetters together this coming spring/summer.
    SteveM.

burbanite
    Jetmugg,
    I am in Zionsville, just outside the I-465 on the Northwest side of Indy. I have spent most of my time at Morse as it is real close to home and work but have been to Raccoon as well. Also did one run up the White River in Broad Ripple!
    Check out this link:
    http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000659.html
    We will also be going to Lake Freeman next year for some sand bar action!
    Where do you go? Sullivan perhaps? Sounds like we should be getting together.

burbanite
    Costello and mister460,
    thanks for your replies. I think we agree on the problem, that's good, now I can move on.
    Another example of why this place is so great, people willing to take the time to help out someone they don't know.
    Again, thank you guys.

Costello
    The whole boat thing is trial and error and different experiences. I just have happened to have my share of bad boat days. I love this place too, because as I build my latest project I'm going to have questions and I know someone here will have the answers.