Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should i advance my cam

Wicked Performance Boats
    When degreeing the cam, I'm not talking about what the timing set keyways say is advanced or retarded. I'm talking about finding top dead center and putting a degree wheel on it and checking the true position of the camshaft. Then you will know where to move it. I wouldn't run any performance motor without degreeing the cam first. Ever wonder why some motors run like a striped ass ape and some are dogs? Degree it, don't wonder or guess. Budlight :hammerhea

EXTREMEBOATS
    Some thing to add to what Wicked said. Putting the cam where it was ground to work is one thing, but by advancing your cam you move the power band up a few hundred rpm,retarding lowers the power band.So it may or maynot help your problem. Just some thing to consider befor you try it. Mike :idea:

dave186
    i thought it was the other way around, advance the cam to lower the power band in the RPM range. I would degree the cam, but i dont have the tools or know anyone that does.

Wicked Performance Boats
    It's worth the money to buy the tools, try Jeg's or Summit. They'll last you a lifetime and you can do your buddies engines and make money and make them think your hotshit! Budlight

Wicked Performance Boats
    Denis, I always knew that you where retarded, just not 3%, just joking!!! Did you get the Eliminator on the water yet? Budlight

Squirtin Thunder
    i thought it was the other way around, advance the cam to lower the power band in the RPM range. I would degree the cam, but i dont have the tools or know anyone that does.
    Your right Dave !!!

Wicked Performance Boats
    Search: Catalog Quick Order: Email Newsletter:
    Home >> Cams & Valvetrain >> Tools More Departments A/C Components Apparel & Collectibles Bracket Racing Brakes & Drivetrain Cams & Valvetrain Car Care Chassis & Suspension Chrome, Billet & Dress-Up Circle Track Cooling Engines & Components Exhaust ECU Upgrades Fasteners & Gaskets Fuel & Induction Gauges & Tachs Hoods, Scoops, Wings & Body Components Ignition & Electrical Jr. Dragster Mopar Performance Mustang & Ford Racing New Products Oil System Power Adders Safety Equipment Shifters Specials Sport Compact Switches, Batteries, and Alternators Timing Chains & Pulleys Tools Trailer Accessories Transmission Truck TPI, LT1, LS-1 Wheels & Tires
    Comp Cams Cam Degree Kit
    View larger image
    Product images may differ from actual product appearance.
    Includes all the components to degree cams in most popular engines. Features a 9'' degree wheel, dial indicator, cam checking fixture, piston stop, pointer, checking springs, instruction booklet and degreeing video.
    Cam Degree Kit
    249-4796 Comp Cams Cam Degree Kit
    Includes:
    9'' Degree Wheel
    Dial Indicator
    Cam Checking Fixture
    Piston Stop
    Pointer
    Checking Springs
    Instruction
    Degreeing Video
    Carrying Case | View Product | More Details | Related Products
    $135.99
    Kit Accessories
    249-4790 Comp Cams 9'' Sportsman Degree Wheel | View Product | Related Products $16.99
    249-4925 Comp Cams Cam Degree Tool
    Applications:
    GM
    Ford | View Product | Related Products
    $56.99
    Back to top of document.
    Popular Products
    Comp Cams Computer Controlled Series Cams
    More information
    Comp Cams 'Xtreme 4x4' Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts
    More information
    Comp Cams Valve Stem Seals
    More information
    Comp Cams Cam Degree Kit
    More information
    Comp Cams Valve Lash Caps
    More information
    New Products Listing
    Click here for the complete list
    ©2005 JEG'S High Performance. All rights reserved. | Privacy Policy

FILUCKY
    Most likely your not running enough cam to be a problem, but keep in mind that when you change your degree on the cam you also change the valve to piston clearance. At the RPM your running 4 degrees advance would work great.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Most likely your not running enough cam to be a problem, but keep in mind that when you change your degree on the cam you also change the valve to piston clearance. At the RPM your running 4 degrees advance would work great.
    I 2nd that! Budlight

Moneypitt
    Since you didn't mention valve lash, it must be hyd. Without adjustable rockers?.....Lifters are possibly bleeding off?.......???????????MP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast