Thread: Amps vs. Voltmeter???

DickDanger
    Hey tech guys, question here: I just purchased a whole new set of gauges for the Rod Bahner special, and I am wondering about why the voltmeter is giving me fits. I had an amp meter in the dash before, but do I need to do some wire reconfiguration? Obviously, electrical is not my specialty...I know that one wire goes to the ignition, but where should the other go to get the gauge to work? Back to the battery? Thanks for any help...-Dick Danger out

Havasu Hangin'
    Ampmeter vs Voltmeter (http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000294.html)
    A mind like a steel trap...I tell you...
    -Havasu Hangin' out
    http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif
    [This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited August 21, 2001).]

DickDanger
    Havasu...
    Thanks dude. Yeah, I once ground myself to a car battery with my Swatch, and got a nice burn on my wrist...I also hooked the ignition wire up to the post for the lights on the back of the gauges, and then wondered why they didnt work...I am outta control I tell ya...hey, does anyone need a good electrician? I am always available for house calls.....-Dick Danger out.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by DickDanger:
    ...but do I need to do some wire reconfiguration? Obviously, electrical is not my specialty...I know that one wire goes to the ignition, but where should the other go to get the gauge to work? Back to the battery?
    An ampmeter has the alternator circut wired in series- that means the wire runs from your alternator, to your gauge, and back to the batteries. It usually terminates at the starter. It is set up this way to read amps (current) output of the alternator.
    A voltmeter just requires a positive (switched) wire- usually from the ignition, and a ground. It reads the voltage on the wire.
    To make the change, run your alternator wire (that used to go to the dash) to the battery cable on the starter- now your alternator will charge the batteries, without running up to the dash. I would consider changing that wire to an 8 gauge, as well.
    Now run a wire off the ignition switch to the new voltmeter, and wire a good ground. Make sure you use good quality wire.
    Originally posted by DickDanger:
    ...I once ground myself to a car battery with my Swatch, and got a nice burn on my wrist...I am outta control I tell ya...
    Dangerfield, or Jerky Boys?
    Yeah, 220,221...whatever it takes
    Michael Keaton- "Mr. Mom"
    -Havasu Hangin' out
    http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif
    [This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited August 21, 2001).]

froggystyle
    Great job HH, couldn't have said it better!
    -Dogs and cats living together.. Mass hysteria!
    -Ghostbusters