Thread: Pontiac 455....???

WriedtStuff
    Well, I sold my boat...it's a double edge sword....I miss it but I bought a hot rod to replace it....
    NOW to the interesting part...this hot rod has a Pontiac 455 motor...and I have nerver had one....just wondering what you guys know about them...
    Also are there any forums like this one for Hot Rods? I have found some but none as good as this one....any suggestions....
    Thanks

77468sleekcraft
    dont over rev ,,,,but its got alot of torque and will haul ass if you can afford it.

Tahiti350
    Here is a link to a Pontiac forum I found, Lots of good stuff there:
    http://forums.performanceyears.com/6/ubb.x
    BTW, I am putting a 400 Pontiac in a 16' jet hull, should have it on teh water next summer.

LakesOnly
    One of my good friends did 187 mph with a 455 Pontiac in a hydro in the quarter, back in the late eighties I think. He still has the motor. We are in the process of reviving an old circle boat of his that has a 428 that gets up there in the triple digits as well. He wanted to run an engine that nobody else was running, and the Pontiac was his choice.
    When he and I first met some years ago, he made claims about his motors that I found a little stretched, so I did some research and was surprised to learn just how may Pontiacs in the day came with the forged cranks, 4-bolt blocks, etc, not to mention the 6-pac carbs...Micky Thompson made some awesome top end kits for the Pontiacs back in the early sixties.
    On another note, John Kaase has won the Engine Master's Contest two years in a row with Ford engines. After everything he has done for Ford for publicity, performance parts, etc., they have recently knifed him in the back, so to speak, and so in retaliation Kaase will be entering a Pontiac 455 into this years Engine Masters Contest. I think this slaps Ford in the face for two reasons: 1) Kaase is not campaigning a Ford for the EMC, and, 2) I think he is going to win with that Pontiac.
    LO

WriedtStuff
    Thanks for the info guys....well just to show you how new the Hot Rod is to me...I figured out today that the engine is a 1975 Pontiac 400 not a 455...oh well....still runs and sounds good..
    Hey is a 400 considered a big block or a small block?

RECORD7JET
    WriedtStuff,
    There is no big block or small block for Pontiac. There are large main 3.25" & small mains 3". All blocks are the same size 326-455cid. They are smaller & weigh a lot less than BBC & a little bigger than SBC & weigh a little more.
    You can put the 455 crank in the 400 with a bearing kit & bore 30 over to make it a 455. But you can just as easy put a 4.25" crank instead.
    Its costs more to build a 454 than a 455 now It used to be the other way around But new parts are available & easy to get more torque.
    A sure way to get the size is to check drivers side of the block under the exhaust manifold. It will have raised 1" #'s 400 or 455.