Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to disconnect steering cable from transom

Hollis
    The steering cable froze solid from setting over the winter and I can't get it unbolted from the transom any oppinions would be great. It's on my 1978-79 20' checkmate w/Berkley. There is one large aluminum bolt with the cable running thru it and a more narrow bolt as a backer next to the transom.
    What a bitch to get too. :boxed:

Floored
    I had to cut the nut in half to get mine off the transom tube to replace the tube on mine. It was rusted solid, used a 4" cutoff tool and it came right off. Dont cut into the tube though, just score it deep enough to pop it open with a hammer and small chisle.

victorfb
    the steering tube nut is a bitch to get to for sure. what i do is uae a pair of channel locks on the tube from the outside, turn it till i can slip a wedge between the nut and the pump cover. a small peice of aluminum or brass or even wood will work. once you get the wedge in the nut will no longer spin and you can turn the tube from the outside with the channel locks. i use rubber tips on the channel locks so it doesnt gouge the tube, but a rag will work.

Hollis
    Christ, How can one little project be such a big fckn problem...?
    Would anybody know what brand this replacement may be?

That's boat stuff for ya. We pulled the motor on my buddy's boat last night. It didn't help doing it in the dark (but it beats doing it in 113 degrees), and the old four point mounts are a pain in the arse. Especially when the mount bolts haven't been touched for 10+ years. It was completely disconnected and with mine (rail type mounts) it would've been a ten minute job. His was more like a couple hours. Bent and corroded hardware really sucks!
    Would anybody know what brand this replacement may be?
    Can you post a picture of the cable/helm? I managed to find my buddy's cable for the old rotary type steering. Funny thing was, it was $50 cheaper to buy the whole deal (helm and cable) than it was to buy just the cable.

Hollis
    Floored, were you able find a replacement for the nut you cut off..?
    It's 90 deg. today here in Maine and there my boat sits in the fkn driveway! :cry:

On all the ones I've seen, the nut is actually placed onto the cable in the manufacturing process and can't be removed without cutting an end off the cable (or cutting the nut itself off). The new replacement cable will have one on it.

Floored
    no, new cable. note to self, use anti-sieze when putting on new cable!!!!

Hollis
    Squirtcha, Ya, old rotary type pretty much describes it...Theres a huge gear at the end of the steering wheel shaft that is engaged into a 21" piece of square stock aluminum tubing...Real basic.

CrdStang
    I'm sure most any jet boat place could sell you the tube and nuts. I ended up making my own tube since I didn't want to wait for one to be shipped.
    For the record, it's not 3/4" pipe thread, it's a 7/8" bolt thread. This is one of the things you learn after sweating for half an hour while running a pipe die over a foot of aluminum tube stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast