Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm trying to disconnect steering cable from transom

Squirtcha, Ya, old rotary type pretty much describes it...Theres a huge gear at the end of the steering wheel shaft that is engaged into a 21" piece of square stock aluminum tubing...Real basic.
    This is a rack and pinion setup.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da...ng_cropped.jpg
    This is a rotary type.
    http://www.cpperformance.com/images/620-3080_.jpg
    Which one does it most closely resemble?
    Or if there's a number on the helm/cable, that'd help find the right piece.

cave
    Hollis does the nut look similar to this one?
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...o_back_end.jpg
    The first time I replaced the cable I had to use two big crescent wrench's One from the inside and one from the out side. Lots of WD-40 too.
    Since the jet rebuild my transom to bowl hook up looks much better than the old picture.

Hollis
    Yes Squirtcha it's definatly rack and pinion but non of those match. All it has imprinted on it is "Heavy duty ride guide" 9/30/87
    Thanks Cave, but no, there is a large threaded sleeve that screws thru the transom and into the large aluminun bolt on the other side. The cable runs thru it...I havn't seen a cable with rack and pinion like this in my catalogues.!

Here's a link to a post I put up a while back regarding this very problem. You'll probably have to buy the whole thing (a newer version, like I and some of the others had to do)
    Post about steering stuff. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...light=teleflex)
    It sounds like you might have one of the older rack systems. I don't know if they make those anymore.

What model pump? Sounds like it is a JE or JF with the cable passing through the lower right hand side of transom? If so, you do not want to damage the aluminum cable mount that passes through the transom. It's a tough part to come by. The nut that holds the cable on comes with a new cable so feel free to carefully cut that one off.
    BTW, pictures ARE worth a 1000 words when it comes to identifying the steering.

Hollis
    Thanks OldSquirt, yes it is one of the original Berkleys. And yes, the cables do pass thru the lower right. You were right about the aluminum cable mount running thru the transom, I saved it. It was a little knarled.
    I finally got the cable out...The team that rebuilt my 460 installed an oversized oil pan and it rested right on the cable. I had to disassemble a motor mount and the under carriage bellhousing then lift the engine...It's been a long day Thankyou everyone

DeputyDawg
    If so, you do not want to damage the aluminum cable mount that passes through the transom. It's a tough part to come by. The nut that holds the cable on comes with a new cable so feel free to carefully cut that one off.
    I had to replace one of those through hull fittings once on a friends Baja Jet and we couldn't find one anywhere. What we did was buy a piece of appropriate size all-thread to fit the cable nut, then we cut it to four inches long and took it to a machine shop where we had it bored out to a large enough diameter for the cable end to pass through. We then installed the piece of bored out all-thread securing it with a large nut and washer on each side of the transom. After sealing around each nut with silicone we then slid the steering cable through and tightened up the steering cable end nut onto the all-thread. It has been working for 10 years... Just thought I would share that in case someone needed a that through hull piece but couldn't find one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12