Thread: My new motor just made a milkshake......

83Dana454
    Had the boat out about a month ago and it starting smoking and missing, tore the engine down ( .030 over 454 BBC) and found #4 piston melted and a crack in the cylinder wall. Engine shop seemed to think the meltdown was due to high compression with cast iron heads, running pump gas, and the recent addition of a thermostat kit. Had a sleeve put in #4, all cylinders honed (was able to keep it at .030 over), line honed, and the deck cut. Reassembled the engine using new JE/SRP forged pistons, new performer rpm cylinder heads, new camshaft, and all the other basic items. Fired the engine up today for initial break in of the camshaft with no problems. After running it for about 30 mins shut it down, decided to check the oil level and found milk on the dipstick, pulled a valve cover and found nothing but white.......shit. Pressurized the cooling system with air and found air leaking out of the #4 sparkplug hole......pulled the intake and cylinder head expecting to find a blown head gasket.....found nothing.....everything looks ok and I am really at a loss of what to check next......any advice would be greatly appreciated.

olbiezer
    last time mine did that it was the heads themselves were cracked .....but yours are brand new......hmmmmmmm

EXTREMEBOATS
    If the sealing surface is true and the head gasket looked to have sealed? I would now question the sleeve. Generaly when machining the hole for a sleeve, with out cutting thru to the water jacket it will seal. I would start with your machine shop and see if any "TID BITS" of info were left out.I have had a excellant history with sleeves. Whether i've used the same machine shop for over 20 years has some thing to do with it or not, This could be your problem. I once had a SBC with a internal leak that I could not locate. I made plates to seal the water passages in the heads.INTAKE REMOVED. I presurized it and found nothing. So I did the same with the block.HEADS REMOVED. I found a crack at the bottom of a cylinder. But thru process of elimnation I found it. Took lots of time,and then trashed the block and started over. Hope you can use some part of this lesson.... :cry: Mike

cave
    What kind of exhaust do you run? Is it possible your getting too much water through your wet headers if there wet?
    Search the threads for wet headers. There are allot of great suggestions in them.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Are you sure you used the right head gaskets? and have somebody else knowledgeable inspect the head gaskets too. Did you put any additional sealant on the gaskets? And are you regulating the water pressure? Just a few Questions. Budlight :coffeycup

victorfb
    Are you sure you used the right head gaskets? and have somebody else knowledgeable inspect the head gaskets too. Did you put any additional sealant on the gaskets? And are you regulating the water pressure? Just a few Questions. Budlight :coffeycup
    i thought additional sealant was a no-no.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I use GM gasket sealer on all head gaskets, it's like permatex #2, on all marine engines. works great for me and has for years. Budlight :idea: