Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: need BBF ford advice

steelcomp
    SteelComp, I don't use any of the ones you list. I am a WD for the company that holds the patent on the hardened PushRod seat in the Rocker body, as well as the Roller Trunnion. That company is Dove Performance. They make Rockers for Comp Cams and many other 'big' companies. Their Rockers all have a patent number stamped on them, and are the standard by which all others should be measured. I read these posts and see LOTS of bad information(ie: 40-50 HP by bolting on a set of Roller Rockers)!! If it was that easy, everyone would have a 100 mph Jet Boat, lol.
    I'm here 8-10 hours a day selling NOTHING but Ford Racing Components. If you, or anyone else, has questions, please call the number on the website. I'm fairly well known and have a good world wide reputation for honesty- even if it costs me a sale or two occasionally.
    I've dealt with Jim Dove. (won't any more) And, I've talked with you. You seemsd like a good guy on the phone, but you're not adressing my point, though, and that's OK. We all have our agenda here on these forums, and I'm trying to save someone a headache. I'm suggesring to Wired Nut to find out specifically which parts were used to design the BT head. There's a big difference. I don't care if Dove makes them all, they're just a job shop making parts to someone's blue print. Dove didn't design other's rockers. The only one I know that sells Dove rockers under another name is Comp Cams, and that's the roller set up for the FE. Frankly, I wouldn't buy anything Dove casts in their foundry. But I'm not here taking an opportunity, trying to promote anything. Just giving good advice. Your advice is, what?? "Call me"??
    BTW...if you want the "rocker to compare to", call Jim Miller.
    I don't want to argue, here. I'm not trying to sell anything except good advice. Not promoting a product, not saying anyone's right or wrong, just stating a few facts to be ware of.
    Okey dokey...I'm done here.

Wired Nut
    This is my first jet boat I bought it from a friend with no motor he has the 0440 red southwind tunnel hull. I bought his first southwind 18' V bottom this is only the second boat I have ever owned my first was a 1967 Sears 16' runabout with a 35HP outboard and that was 16 years ago. So a lot of this is new to me. I have read a lot in the Forums over the past 6 monthsand have learned quite a bit.
    Lakesonly I was hoping to get your attention on this I will be giving you a call yes you are correct the pistons are 22cc dish tops.as far as the ignition I was looking at a MSD setup.I Dont want to adjust Valves every other trip to the river that is why I was looking at A hyd. roller But if steelcomp i right saying that a good solid setup wont need constant adjusting I would go that way.As for the gaskets I will go with the marine head gaskets.for the timing I dont plan on messing with it I just wasent shur what degree it is to be set at. I understand that marine timing is diffrent from autos that is why i bought the 9 key.as for the oil pump i think i would go with the stage 2 pump better safe than sorry.
    RiverRacer I bought my heads from DSC motorsport. Wish I got the raised exhaust ports but didnt know better at that time
    Danhercules I thought i was building a semi mild motor.
    My main objective with this moter is dependablty and not a lot of constant matinance.I have seen my friend 0440 red boat have to rebuild 4-5 motors in his boats in the past 3 years I cant afford to have dougans rebuild my motor every 8 months but he does run them hard.

Wired Nut
    By the way RiverRacer can you give me the brand and specs on the valves since they came in a diffrent box with no paperwork with the heads or valves I was worried they are some Generic valves and was looking to buy new ferrea valves becouse i was unshur of them and dont want to risk my engine to cheap parts.

Bailey
    I just purchased that same crank, pistons, and bearings for my 460. You should check with who ever is going to build this motor for you about those bearings. My builder won't use them said they wouldn't last. Also the crank needs alot of attention mine was pretty rough. Just some things to check on.

Wired Nut
    Bailey what bearings did your builder recommend ? I thought the H series were better than the standard Clevite bearings any one else have a opinion on these bearings ?

Bailey
    Maybe mine weren't the H not sure. Did you buy your parts as a stroker kit? My builder is going to use federal race bearings. I know nothing about which bearings are good or not.

Maybe mine weren't the H not sure. Did you buy your parts as a stroker kit? My builder is going to use federal race bearings. I know nothing about which bearings are good or not.
    This seems to be one area where the BBF's are lacking. There don't seem to be a lot of choices on bearings. Is there anything available other that Clevite or Federal Mogul.
    If so, what are they? Are they better or worse? What is the best possible bearing (main, rod, cam...) for the BBF's (or BBC's for that matter), and why are they the best?
    I know when I had my motor built, the guy did mostly Chevy stuff and was unable to get the bearings he wanted for my build (whatever he typically used for his BBC builds). He ended up settling for a something else, but it was strictly because his usual favorite bearing company didn't make that particular type for BBF's.
    I believe he ended up using the Clevites.

Ken F
    Dan,
    I just went with the Federal Mogul Part #134-M10. They are the coated bearings..a bit pricy, but...
    For cam bearings I went with Jon Kasse coated cam bearings. A bit wider than normal ones which are supposed to be a bit better for strong valve springs with added pressure on the cam. From what I hear they are 351c front bearings...
    Also went with LakesOnly's stage 2 pump. Nice piece, and he helped me a lot with some pretty extensive oil mods on the block too....should get it fired this week- CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!
    Ken F

steelcomp
    This seems to be one area where the BBF's are lacking. There don't seem to be a lot of choices on bearings. Is there anything available other that Clevite or Federal Mogul.
    If so, what are they? Are they better or worse? What is the best possible bearing (main, rod, cam...) for the BBF's (or BBC's for that matter), and why are they the best?
    I know when I had my motor built, the guy did mostly Chevy stuff and was unable to get the bearings he wanted for my build (whatever he typically used for his BBC builds). He ended up settling for a something else, but it was strictly because his usual favorite bearing company didn't make that particular type for BBF's.
    I believe he ended up using the Clevites.
    Clevite H series are fine for just about anything. The Fed Mog race bearings are a 3/4 groove for Chev's (and most others) and excellent bearings as well. They typically go about a half thou bigger than the Clevites. King makes good bearings, and King and Fed Mog have many sizes to choose from in their race bearing series.
    Edited to add that none of the motors we're talking about here need anything in the way of special bearings. If your clearances are correct, and the finish on your crank and block are correct, you should never ever have any bearing problems.

LakesOnly
    Lakes,
    .... I'm curious as to how many "fuel funnycars" your pump is used in? C'mon, now.
    Just my .02
    Comp, the point I am trying to make about the application of our oil pumps is not how many nitro motors they have supported, as the number doesn't matter in itself. My point is only that these pumps support engines with lubrication needs all the way up to that of blown nitro. :smile:
    Incidentally, while we're on the subject, I should note that there are very few Ford powered drag cars, even fewer Ford powered nitro-methane cars. I think you know this very well, Comp, so I would like to ask: is your question supposed to be some kind of a "trick question" where I am forced to publicy give a low number that is somehow supposed to make me look bad--or something like that--when in fact it actually misdirects from the point I was trying to really make? :hammer2: If it is, then I wish to reiterate that quantity is irrelevant because that point is moot relative to my claim. If your inquiry does not have an ulterior motive as I presumed, then please accept my aplogy in advance for suspecting so. :redface:
    That being said (that there are almost no Ford drag cars out there), our oil pumps supported between six and ten Nitro motors other than our own cars. I'm sorry I don't have an exact number, but records were not precisely kept, and actually my position in High Flow Dynamics is to step in and serve as the exclusive distributor, promote and move the product, and get tallys/keep records on all the stuff that's being sold/formally handle the business side/sales for a change! I confess I have a bit of a learning curve here, but hopefully in the future we will have documented data to support every one of our claims.
    Moving right along...two years ago, NHRA imposed a big penalty for oiling down the track. In other words, if you blow your motor and puke motor oil all over the track, you pay fines. In reply to this announcement by the NHRA, all funny cars that were running internal pumps switched to dry sump external pumps so as to evacuate all oil from the pan and keep the gallons of oil out of the crankase, should the motor grenade.
    LO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast