Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: High Court Expands Reach of Eminent Domain

SmokinLowriderSS
    And you don't think that bush and his corp buddies had any influance on this??
    Warning!! Warning!!! Danger Wil Robinson!!! Danger!! Danger!! We have a CONSPIRACY THEORIST on board.
    That explains a lot. :chi:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Don't think it will only happen to a small percentage of us.
    Right now we are gearing up for a ED battle at my extended family's mountain cabin. They built and have resided at the cabin since focking 1912! The state already used ED once to build a state highway next to the property in the 50's. Over the years the 18 wheeler traffic has progressively gotten heavier as it is cut through from Rome, GA to interstate 59(probably to avoid the scales). Bear in mind this is a old school tourist town (highest town in Alabama) with downtown consisting of gift shops, bed and breakfast hotels, many children's camps. Basically this is a mountain country road that happens to be the most convient pass to the interstate. There is a bigger highway close to the south but it takes an extra 15-20 minutes for the trucks going north to use. Our place is half a mile from town on really pretty river (one of the cleanest in the nation) that goes to Desoto Falls.
    Several bad (some fatal) accidents between cars and big trucks recently put this particular place in the spotlight because of the narrow bridge and curve on approach. In fact several have landed in the front yard. Their solution (instead of lowering speed limit from 45 to 35) is to build new bridge and take 150-200 feet of the property which basically will codemn our 93 year old cabin and 60 year old stone boat house all so the trucks can drive faster through town and still be safe (maybe)...which I imagine will add even more truck traffic.
    The other side of the road could be done and only need 80 feet and be a cheaper to construct, but that owner apparently is buddy's with the state senator. So that means the highway department is trying to ram it down our throats. No trying to be reasonable or listen to alternative ideas, just a bunch of kid engineers probably from Auburn drawing how they like. They won't listen to our calls for lowering the speed limit even after several hundred signatures on a petition. They got some money for a project and probably feel like they have to spend it... even if a large part of the community doesn't want it.
    Basically this will destroy the value of this place and it really is not replaceable even if they give a fair value...and I doubt they will.
    In fact the new bridge was scheduled for late next year, but when we bought in environmental experts to study the damage they bumped the schedule up to late this year...this kind of shit really sucks and even if we prevail in the end I'm sure it will end up costing thousands of dollars to fight. Being there first ought to count for something.
    ...All for the public good. Whenever politicians, lawyers, and engineers get in the same room you know somebody is gonna get screwed.
    That is heartbreaking. Could you get the building and/or boat house on the national historical registry? Of ourse, that limits you to any development on the property as well, but that just means you have to get approval, not that you can't do it later.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Hey!! Nice thought Sportin'. That COULD work but it might take too long. Seems like the municipality is in a rush (trying to beat out the "environmental imapct study" as well). I do wish them luck though.

SmokinLowriderSS
    The "only a few get hurt" usually seems OK in the bigger scheme of things ..... untill you become one of "a few". :squiggle:

Blown 472
    Warning!! Warning!!! Danger Wil Robinson!!! Danger!! Danger!! We have a CONSPIRACY THEORIST on board.
    That explains a lot. :chi:
    Ok, follow along it might be kinda hard to understand seeing how you are blind to the real world. The court is sitting around one day bored and they say hey lets further errod the rights of property owners knowing full well this will be a very unpopular thing to do but they have not been infulanced by the admin, who just might have been influanced by the second largest contributor to their cause, who might that be you ask?? well big oil is the first and walmart is the second, now sit back and think about this for a bit, since walmart doesn't own the product they sell just the building and the land.

Schiada76
    Ok, follow along it might be kinda hard to understand seeing how you are blind to the real world. The court is sitting around one day bored and they say hey lets further errod the rights of property owners knowing full well this will be a very unpopular thing to do but they have not been infulanced by the admin, who just might have been influanced by the second largest contributor to their cause, who might that be you ask?? well big oil is the first and walmart is the second, now sit back and think about this for a bit, since walmart doesn't own the product they sell just the building and the land.
    Think for a minute.................................
    This is not Bush's court he has no influence over it, that's why there is a seperation of powers in the first place. He has not even appointed a justice yet.
    The FACT iof the matter is the LIBERAL justices voted for this, the conservatives against.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Ok, let's see if I can follow your facts...............
    Case began in New London Conneticut.
    New London ( a heavy Democrat state) wants more "much needed" (quoted from CNN article) tax $$$$ to spend on "HELPING" people (giveaway programs).
    New London is a Dying Town. :
    "New London has been and is classified by the state of Connecticut as a distressed municipality," City Attorney Thomas Londregan said. "When we lost the naval base, we lost about 18,000 jobs." (CNN 23 Feb)
    "In the New London case, city officials there argue that eminent domain also should apply to "economic development" even if done privately since it would increase tax revenue and improve the local economy." (CNN 23 Feb)
    Now, George, in all his kindness, got his "buddies" (?!?!?!?!!?!?) in the Supreme court to come to the aid of New London, in a state which did not support him in EITHER election (so he is buying them off for what reason????)
    I suppose to "settle" with them over what the BIPARTISAN BRAC board did to them????
    "It wants to build a conference center, hotel complex, offices, condominiums, and eventually, an aquarium in New London," (CNN 23 Feb)
    Oh, and the Wal-Mart they neglected to mention I guess (Bushes #2 contributor)
    Oh, by the way, I looked up Bush's 2004 contributors. FEC Figures
    (probably changed by more of Bush's "buddies" even though the employees ALL predate his term.)
    TOP 20 CONTRIBUTORS 2004:
    MBNA Corp $240,675
    Vinson & Elkins $202,850
    Credit Suisse First Boston $191,400
    Ernst & Young $179,949
    Andersen Worldwide $145,650
    Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co $144,900
    Merrill Lynch $132,425
    PricewaterhouseCoopers $127,798
    Baker & Botts $116,121
    Citigroup Inc $114,300
    Goldman Sachs Group $113,999
    Enron Corp $113,800
    Bank of America $112,500
    KPMG LLP $107,744
    Jenkens & Gilchrist $105,450
    Enterprise Rent-A-Car $97,498
    State of Texas $87,254
    American General Corp $84,134
    Deloitte & Touche $81,600
    AXA Financial $79,725
    Find me "Big Oil", or "Wal-Mart".
    It's the Who's Who in credit, banking and financing.
    Enron, OK, #12. Lot more than oil there.
    Wanna play some more blown? At least I review my facts before posting them. (big oil, sheeeesh)
    Face it Blown, your enemy George had nothing to do with the Supreme Court Hijacking the US Constitution.

SmokinLowriderSS
    By the way Blown, where's the property Wal-Mart is going to sell to New London?
    "This area had a junkyard, which had to be cleaned up at great expense," Londregan said. "They had oil tanks, commercial big storage tanks. There is a railroad yard down there." (CNN 23 Feb)
    A junkyard, Commercial oil storage tanks and a rail yard. I didn't realize Wal-Mart was branching out into rail and (oh ... here it is.... ) "big oil' (tanks).

Forkin' Crazy
    Valiant attempt, SLSS, but you are beating a "dead horse" (blown).
    "Don't confuse me with the facts, I've already got my mind made up!" :yuk:

SmokinLowriderSS
    Quite true Forkin', but I hadn't beaten any dead horses in a while and was inthe mood for some exercise.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast