Thread: Need help connecting air intake blower motors

TIGGER
    I just got my boat running this past week. I am getting ready to put the engine cover on for the 4th but the intake motor is not connected properly. The motor works just fine, it is the hose that I do not know what to do with. It was laying in the boat when I bought it. The previous owner said if I run the boat with the engine cover on I have to run the intake motor or it will starve for air. Can someone tell me the proper way to run the hose?

Wicked Performance Boats
    The blower is a bilge blower. It is meant to suck fumes out of the bilge before you start your engine. Just let the end lay as low in the bilge as possible and run it 5 minutes before you start the engine.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Wicked is correct, and the previous owner had no idea what he was talking about. Imagine that little fan feeding a large-displacement engine at high revs.
    Just drape it to the lowest area of your bilge, secure it to anything handy if you like with a few zip-ties, and it is good to go. Your fan DOES blow out of the boat correct? I've seen this debated on several threads over the years but to blow air into the bilge only serves to dilute and stir (and spread) fumes. Blowing overboard removes flamable fumes from a dangerous area.

Boatcop
    Smokin's right. (Did I just say that??? )
    Blower is a misnomer here. It should actually be called a sucker. It's designed to remove fuel vapors from the bilge., and augment the natural ventilation.
    The ducts for the "blower" should be as low as possible in the bilge (without being submerged in standing bilge water). This is known as the exhaust ducts, since it's designed to exhaust fumes out of the engine compartment.
    The ducts for the intake should be down to about carburator level. To tell which is which, the cowels or scoops for the intake usually face forward, and the exhaust face aft.
    When wiring the blower, place it in the ground circuit. That is, hot from a constant power source under the dash to the switch. Ground from the switch to the blower, and ground from the blower to the battery or ground terminal on the engine. You don't want power running through wires in the engine compartment unnecessarily.
    Make sure it's wired to be able to operate with the key off. Having to turn the key on to operate the blower defeats its purpose.

TIGGER
    Thanks guys, I think it is wired properly, I just needed to know how to run the hose. One more question. The hose I have is in pretty bad shape. What should I use to replace it? Dryer duct?

SmokinLowriderSS
    I don't recall where I got mine 3 years ago, I think an auto parts store for "breather hose". That would be one part that doesn't matter for a marine aplication. Just take the old one in, they should be able to help you.

Boatcop
    Thanks guys, I think it is wired properly, I just needed to know how to run the hose. One more question. The hose I have is in pretty bad shape. What should I use to replace it? Dryer duct?
    Any Marine parts place (West Marine, Overtons, etc) will have the correct hose.