Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe comp ratio for an iron headed

Blown 472
    mota with proper quench in a jet boat??

76BARRON
    Cam has alot to do with it, but i'd say 10:1 easy and with alot of cam 11:1
    should be no problem. Keep in mind I'm shootin from the hip without more info!
    I assume your talking about running pump gas?

76BARRON
    Just noticed your BLOWN 472 name, so if your talking blown then your on your own!

Blown 472
    Just noticed your BLOWN 472 name, so if your talking blown then your on your own!
    no blower, single four.

LakesOnly
    Tough call blown, depends on so many variables. Generally, 10:1 with those C9' we're discussing and 92 pump gas.
    But get this: Pump gas premium is not that much more than AvGas these days, and so you can blend 50/50 and get a resulting 95-96 octane fuel that has 10x the lead pump gas last had. And don't complain about dragging gas cans whenever you go to launch your boat; you live right across the street from the funkin' lake!
    By the way, I forgot to mention that I have a very interesting little known trick that I'd like to perform on your heads that may raise your threshold of detonation by a full compression point (yes, pump gas at 11+:1 may be possible). No power loss, no power gain, just detonation resistance by making a change in the head.
    LO

78Eliminator
    I was at 13:1 on my 427 with 990 Iron heads and I hurt it. Several of the exhaust seats were cracked so it was rattling for sure. I would go 11:1, maybe a hair more. Think about it. Production cars are sending them out of the factory with 11:1. Of course, that's with EFI and knock sensors.....

Fiat48
    The problem is gasoline. Get rid of it. For lawn mowers and transportation vehicles only. It's overpriced and smells bad too.

78Eliminator
    And it turns your combustion chamber black....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    The problem is gasoline. Get rid of it. For lawn mowers and transportation vehicles only. It's overpriced and smells bad too.
    LMFAO...... That is funny Very true!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    And it turns your combustion chamber black....
    Amen!!!!! I ran avgas in my olds for 2 years and it never turned black!!! HMMM I wonder why...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast