Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearing question

ONAROLL
    I have a Dominator 12s on my bench, the guy destroyed the front bearing, I went to Allied bearing to get a new one. When the guy handed me the bearing I unwrapped it to find out it is a sealed bearing, I made a comment about it being sealed and he said just knock out the seals if you want to, OK cool, now my question........if a sealed bearing is available and it has an additional seal in the bearing cap and one one the back of the bearing housing, to protect it from water/debris would it not survive in a jet pump?
    thanks Vic

HammerDown
    Vic, personally I wouldn't use a sealed thrust bearing...i like the idea of pumping some fresh grease in every few trips to the lake. Actually I use a auto greaser I installed from Grainger...works great.
    I would use the ZKL bearing myself.

ONAROLL
    Hammer.
    I agree, just for piece of mind, but when I think about how much more that bearing would take in any other application, heavy equipment or industrial it by theory, should live alot eaiser life in a jet pump, I have a couple days before I get back to it, just curious if anybody has tried it an to what result. Vic

Taylorman
    Life in a jet pump aint so easy for a bearing. I would not even try a bearing from any source except from someone that sells jet pump parts. To big of a risk. If that bearing burns up you could break something which could be bad. Ask fleetimus.

AZKC
    Most bearings come in a sealed or unsealed versions, same exact bearing just has seals. Pry the seals out and yer good to go. Usually a small screw driver does the trick.

Duane HTP
    Get a ZKL Thrust Bearing from a jet pump supplier. There are 134 variations of the bearing that will fit your pump. They are trying to sell you a wheel or industrial bearing. (no thrust qualities). Don't do it.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I gotta agree with Taylorman's bearing beliefs. The front bearing is the thrust bearing that has to hold back all the pressure the impeller puts on the shaft while pressurizing the pump bowl. I'll bet somebody here has the figures for typical pressures inside a jet pump on ... say ... 400 HP for a start. Multiply that by the surface area of the impeller blades (and the rear center surface area) and you have the pressure the thrust bearing has to withstand, all while being spun at 4,500 to 6,000+ RPM.

American Turbine Man
    With the boats and engines we run today that double row bearing is just not strong enough. American Turbine and Dominator have been using a single row true thrust bearing in our jets since 1998. The bearing we use now will take 35% more load and it will give you some warning before thrashing parts. Just a comment on buying bearings from a bearing store; the double row bearings we sell have more internal clearance, we special order them a thousand at a time. ATM

American Turbine Man
    American Turbine Man]With the boats and engines we run today that double row bearing is just not strong enough. American Turbine and Dominator have been using a single row true thrust bearing in our jets since 1998. The bearing we use now will take 35% more load and it will give you some warning before thrashing parts. Just a comment on buying bearings from a bearing store; the double row bearings we sell have more internal clearance, we special order them a thousand at a time. Also do not use wheel bearing grease!!!! ATM

SmokinLowriderSS
    Use the best quality marine water-resistant grease you can find. I personally run the stuff DuaneHTP sells, but he is fairly convenient to me being only 15 min west of my employer. :clover:
    I KNOW Duane'd be willing to mail ya some, for a fair price of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast