Thread: Disaster avoided, disconnect your batteries and check your fire extingushers

CrdStang
    I was just watching TV in my living room when I heard a familiar noise
    RRrrRRrrRRrrRRrrRR...
    ..I thought it was a neighbor trying to start a car for about half a second, then I realized it was too close, too loud, and sounded exactly like my Olds cranking over. Ran downstairs and to find flames leaping out of my starboard engine compartment vent. I dove for the battery switch and cut the power, then ran for the fire extingusher in the trunk of my car (guess I forgot about the one in the boat). That extingusher was about a year old, and it seemed like practically nothing came out when I pulled the trigger. I threw the worthless thing down and went for the garden hose. Of course my car was parked on the hose. By the time I moved the car and turned the hose on, the flames were dying down on their own. I hosed it all down and then went to get a flashlight.
    Damage was minimal compared to what it could've been. My HI-6 Marine ignition box is toast, a few connectors, and the week of evenings I spent on the wiring. I got off easy. I can't say what caused the fire right now, I'll take a better look tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I'm just glad I still have a boat, and a house for that matter.
    My boat would probably be trash if this fire had started an hour earlier when I wasn't home. Had the starter solenoid wire not found 12v+ in that molten mess, I would've been sitting upstairs unknowningly as my boat burned.
    So like it says in the topic, disconnect your batteries and check your fire extingushers.
    Now I just have to bust ass to get it running again for the 4th...
    :frown:

HammerDown
    That could have got ugly fast! Good thing you were infact home, glad to hear ya caught it in time.
    Question...how has the Crane Hi-6 box treated you before the fire, how long did you have it...?

CrdStang
    That could have got ugly fast! Good thing you were infact home, glad to hear ya caught it in time.
    Question...how has the Crane Hi-6 box treated you before the fire, how long did you have it...?
    I got the HI-6 on ebay, used, 5-6 months ago. It performed flawlessly during engine break-in and the three times I've taken the boat out.
    I've also had a HI-6 in my street car for four years now, it's never skipped a beat, which is why I got another one for my boat.

malcolm
    Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure many of our old boat's wiring harnesses are powder kegs waiting to go poof! Hope you get her going for the 4th!