Thread: Verado 400hp

RvrTricks
    Talking to a merc. rep he mentioned 2006 miami show... any other news, anything... weight, power etc???

Tom Brown
    I heard that it will rev to 25000 RPM, put out more than 400 hp at the prop, and get tripple the fuel economy of today's most efficient engines. Unfortunately, it will weigh about 1200 lbs.
    I'm just kidding... of course.

CrazyHippy
    that's 1200kg...
    The Verados are HEAVY. They also do not currently have a "sport" gearcase, and the lower unit is still a big question mark until someone statrts running one up @ the surface...
    BJH

stoker2001
    i seen a 2006 mercury brochere and there was no 400hp verado,i was hopeing for 300XS hi perf opti

F26
    there is talk about a 300 opti on scream and fly but time will tell :hammer2:

bigkatboat
    At the Merc school in Hayward Calif. it was mentioned that MORE than 400HP had been tested on stock motors. The 'controler' is returning most of the boost at sea level. "Just a quick reprogramming" of the ECU, and the motor comes alive. The blower is turning fast enough, the fuel system is up for the job, the intercooler is doing it's job, it's just up to the ECU to stop returning boost to the intake and send it to the motor. Don't worry about the nose cone, just run more diameter, and get there quicker too.

CrazyHippy
    At the Merc school in Hayward Calif. it was mentioned that MORE than 400HP had been tested on stock motors. The 'controler' is returning most of the boost at sea level. "Just a quick reprogramming" of the ECU, and the motor comes alive. The blower is turning fast enough, the fuel system is up for the job, the intercooler is doing it's job, it's just up to the ECU to stop returning boost to the intake and send it to the motor. Don't worry about the nose cone, just run more diameter, and get there quicker too.
    The trouble is no one has tried it surfacing a big prop @ 400HP, no idea how the lower will handle it.
    BJH

stoker2001
    . Don't worry about the nose cone, just run more diameter, and get there quicker too.have you ever been in a 80+mph outboard with standard non coned lower unit,its called blowout :supp: :jawdrop: and it will get your attention in a hurry or worse yet

Tom Brown
    ...it will get your attention in a hurry or worse yet
    I'm pretty sure that's the kind of worrying bigkatboat is advocating against.
    It shouldn't be that tough to modify a nose cone to fit pretty much any gear case.

CrazyHippy
    run the propshaft 3" up mounted to the transom... nosecone shouldn't matter at all.
    BJH