Thread: Set up review expectations

GUGS102
    Deferring to the many of you who have been there and done that and also subscribing to the theory of learning from others' mistakes rather than repeat them... I would like some feedback on the current set up I am putting together. The boat is a 78 Hallett 19' Sprint. Pump is a jg spinning an A impeller with a droop, bolt on ride plate and place diverter. When I got the boat it had a stock 454 with a cast intake and a 750 marine edelbrock carb. I swapped the intake to a performer 2.0 since I was only pulling 4600rpm, best GPS was 60 flat without droop and ride plate (added later). The exhaust was hardin logs with 2 7/8 output.
    I swapped the cam for a comp 280 with springs and after 25 minutes at 2500 RPM it ate all but three cam lobes (boy was I pissed) I was informed by comp cams warranty department that 85% of all warranty work they do is for flat tappet bbc cams. They told me there are some blocks which have lifter alignment issues and sometimes eat cams. Oh well live and learn. Just money right? However they will credit me the cost of the cam and lifters (great what about the rest of the motor the cam metal took out?)
    Being in PHX I took the motor to the Timinator who is in the process of building me a full roller 489. I plan on going to an RPM air gap and possibly an 8oocfm carb. I also swapped the 2 7/8 logs for the 3 1/2 logs for more exhaust flow. I had the heads pocket ported and larger valves installed. The heads are the large port oval 049 casting heads.
    So, my question is, anyone running something similar and give me an idea of what to expect for performance or do you see any weaknesses in this set up and have other suggestions?
    Any info appreciated!!

Moose
    GUGS102, Sorry to here about the Cam issues. The motor you are building is
    very close to what I have minus the blower. Mine started out as a two bolt GEN IV 454 in a 85 TR-19 Rogers. The first thing I did was ad a Comp Solid roller cam( 252/262 @.50 638 lift/ 108 lobe centers) and Crane Gold rockers.
    Also has the 049 heads ported and put in bigger valves.( 2.19/1.88 with 11/32 valve stems). The boat went from 60 mph to 75 mph on gps. The bottom end could only handle the extra HP for a few months and It spun two mains and two rods. I rebuilt the bottom end too a 489= calies dragon slayer 4.25 crank, .30 over with Eagle H beam rods, J&E pistons 8.4-1 (setup to run N20). Motor Dyno'ed @ 575 hp @ 6000 rpms (can't remember the trq). I ran the boat @ 85 gps with 100 shot of N20. I lost a fuel pump on a N20 run and burned two pistons. Thats when I said the #ell with N20 and dropped on a BDS 8-71 with two HP 830 carbs and super chiller. Motor now Dynos @ 850 HP @ 6500 rpm and 783 ft pd trq. Its a good combo even with the 049s. I could get more out of it if I went to bigger square port heads. If you don't plan on running over 5800 rpms the 049s will work just fine. Good luck.
    Moose

GUGS102
    Moose,
    Thanks for the info, I'm hoping this will make for a healthy combo. Are you still running the two bolt? I am adding a 10 qt pan for the oiling system and arp main studs to help strengthen the bottom end.What kind of issues have you had reliability wise with the 8-71. We have a challenger with a 4 bolt that was built as a blower motor but later had a single plain and a nice sized solid flat tappet put in it. We have been kicking the idea of adding some boost.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I wouldn't try to make your motor a blower motor. You must have a strong engine to support a blower on it. Put the motor in the boat and run it. Next aquire a 4bolt block, forged crank and Good 7/16ths rods and start building a good blower motor, or have someone reputable build one for you. Budlight

GUGS102
    Budlight,
    Thanks for the info. This motor I building now will stay normally aspirated. The one we are thinking of adding boost to has the forged crank, good rods, bolts and is a 4 bolt motor. I'd rather just add inches to the motor which is probably what we will do. Right now it is at 468, either a 489 or 496 with a solid roller will definitely generate more HP.
    Thanks,
    Gugs102

Moose
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that the block had been converted to a four bolt main with splayed main caps, and that was for the n20 setup. I'm sure it can handle a blower.
    Moose