Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: timing 460 ford.need more RPM's

szokejohn2
    since rebuilding my ford,its been running great,however I didnt have the tach hooked up.Before I rebuilt the motor ,my RPM's were 5200,now I cant get it past 4500.I dont think its the carb.I didnt do anything with it.I changed the timing gears out with a new set.I believe the it may be standard 8 degree retarded.I looked at the timing gear before I put it in,but you cant really tell that way.
    I have the engine at 12 degrees BTDC,didnt mess with the total degrees,hope I didnt mess something up

Squirtin Thunder
    Pull the cover and degree the cam !!!

77charger
    38 total has worked well for me.was an 11-1 429

mgar_red
    I looked at the timing gear before I put it in,but you cant really tell that way.
    But you can.....If you used a true double roller set, they have multiple keyways like the one I used ( cloyes ) on my BBF. If you got a standard replacement from the autoparts store, pre '72 ( i think ) has straight up timing, but after that they are retarded. If you look at the mark with the "O" you'll notice the keyway is directly lined with the tooth. You would have been able to see that on your gear even if it only had one slot. The retards are in between.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...76Jan26-05.jpg

SummitKarl
    Pull the cover and degree the cam !!!
    sounds about right, I bet your a tooth off on the timing gears, set it back so crank keyway and the dots on the gears line up, if it's already like that than did you change the profile of the cam?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    we timed 460 jus getn it's ford @ 31 degrees total,14 inital,all in by 2200 r's and it pulls real hard.

Moneypitt
    Cam timing and ignition timing have nothing to do with each other. You can advance/retard the ignition timing forever and it will not change the corelation of the cam to the crank. If you used a stock timing set, and it is not pre 72, or so, then the cam is late, period. Advancing the ignition timing may make it feel more responsive, but the top end will never be there with the cam late........Get the right parts, installed correctly, which means degreed, and the performance should come back.............MP

Hallett19
    You are telling me this guy is going to get 700 RPM from moving the cam up on time ????

squirtcha?'s_son
    ur old gage might not have been reading right. Oh r u using your old sender for the tach? that could be reading the rpms wrong but just an idea. thats what happend with my faters boat except the guage would freak out and jump around at wot

Squirtin Thunder
    You are telling me this guy is going to get 700 RPM from moving the cam up on time ????
    You can change the RPM range by about 1500rpms by adjusting the cam timing.
    But then again you can do the same by changing rocker arms too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast