Thread: 496 ho problems, help

28magic
    I own a 496 ho and have the local dealer stumped. The motor starts and idels just fine, but doesnt have enough power to get on plain. Problem started with water in the gas, drained tanks and added fresh fuel and seperator but now has no power. Dealer checked codes and has low water pressure at sea water pump and has overheated a few times even though water temp never exceeded 180degs. Dealer is to buisy to try to fix and promissed me it would be fixed by this weekend but that is not going to happen so now it is in my hands. I have replaced the fuel water seperator changed the spark plugs and wires, what do i do now?? please help...

mike37
    if you have never replaced the impeller you may not be getting
    the right pressure and the ECM is shutting down the power to keep you from blowing it up
    its part of the smart craft programing

C-2
    Yup my neighbor just went thru the same.
    His would overheat then only operate in safe mode. He backflushed his oil cooler and a bunch of crap came flying out - maybe check that as well, he wasn't getting water in the top reservoir. Check the impeller and the impeller housing - if the walls are scored in the least bit, you have to replace the whole assembly. According to Quality Performance Marine, there is a serious backlog on the parts - which is why my neighbor had his brazed and machined, thus saving him $400.