Thread: Pump not feeding water to the motor

CVX20Dustin
    Motor rebuilt 460 and rebuilt JE pump "A". Backed trailer in to the lake started up running at 1000 to 1200 RPM the motor went up to 240 degrees in 5 to 10 minute. The hose all the way back to the pump was hot.Shut down and let cool ,started up again pulled hose off pump inlet no real pressure just felt the same after shutting off. Hose rought is right the pump was turning over.Got home pulled bowl a part looked ok . Stuck hose in to the hole in the pump and water came out the exhaust. Any ideas?

Wicked Performance Boats
    Take a few pics and post them. Something is stopping the flow of water. Budlight

Ken F
    Since you were running it on the trailer, are you sure your pump was full of water and pumping? Lots of times without a prime-a-jet, the air will get trapped in the bowl and it will pump no water. Was it shooting water out the divirter???
    Ken F

victorfb
    do you have a dump line coming from the thermastat housing then out the transom? sounds like your getting water in the motor just not flowing through. you need to have an exit for the water to properly flow through the engine, just going to the exhaust is not correct.

Flip
    What kind of exhaust are you running? Are you SURE its plumbed right?
    Click here, then click on Tech Stuff. Scroll down to Cooling & Plumbing and choose your setup. (http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com)
    Can't hurt to recheck.

Mighty Thor
    Motor rebuilt 460 and rebuilt JE pump "A". Backed trailer in to the lake started up running at 1000 to 1200 RPM the motor went up to 240 degrees in 5 to 10 minute. The hose all the way back to the pump was hot.Shut down and let cool ,started up again pulled hose off pump inlet no real pressure just felt the same after shutting off. Hose rought is right the pump was turning over.Got home pulled bowl a part looked ok . Stuck hose in to the hole in the pump and water came out the exhaust. Any ideas?
    If your waterline is hot running back to the pump you have water running the wrong way some how. Yor CVX probably does not have a dump line and the water is supposed to come out the exhaust. I will take some pictures of my setup and get them to you. In the mean time check to see if the pipe through the transom is plugged. Also make sure if you have a shut off valve it must be open. IE: just because the handle is pointed one way does not mean the valve is open. Simple check, put the pump in the water, disconnect the hose from the front of the engine and start the boat. If you dont have lots of water in 10 to 15 seconds you know where the problem lies, a blocked water line or in the pump.

Nubbs
    Not sure if this applies to you or not, but my pump doesn't push much water through the engine when it's just idling.

Mighty Thor
    Dustin, here are the pictures of my setup. I also put this on the Classic Glastron site. The red hose is the line in from the pump. The braided stuff is obviously from thermostate to exhaust and also the recirculation line. I do not run a thermostat and control temp using my ball valve. About 1/2 closed gives me a cruising temp of 150 on the guage. I used a 1/2 inch ball valve so there would be no restriction to waterflow and then just used a threaded bushings to mate to the 3/8 pipe thread on the hardline from the jet. I also put in a brass elbow to make the turn toward the front of the boat.
    http://www.classicglastron.com/messa...ngine_frnt.jpg
    http://www.classicglastron.com/messa...5628_valve.jpg
    http://www.classicglastron.com/messa...gine_front.jpg

CVX20Dustin
    I didn't have the boat in the water far enough or maybe it was not flat enough to pick the water up. I got the cam broke in but the RPMs veried a little during brake in about 200 to 400 rpm once in a while is this normal. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help have a good 4th.

SmokinLowriderSS
    My recent cam break-in was between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm. I never noticed it vary on it's own but did some due to us. Is likely normal though.