Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: help rail kit/ bellhousing/flywheel cover

atxwrangler
    i bought a rail kit and just sizing it up for installation, it looks as if i install the back engine plate to the back of the engine, then bolt the bellhousing behind that,the starter probably won't be able to enguage the flywheel because of the added 1/2" , the rear engine plate is made of.can anyone clarify this for me? thanks in advance! :idea:

atxwrangler
    HELLO ELLO ELLO ELLO, WHERE IS EVERYONE? :hammer2:

wsuwrhr
    i bought a rail kit and just sizing it up for installation, it looks as if i install the back engine plate to the back of the engine, then bolt the bellhousing behind that,the starter probably won't be able to enguage the flywheel because of the added 1/2" , the rear engine plate is made of.can anyone clarify this for me? thanks in advance! :idea:
    I'm lost here, are you running a Big Block Chevy?
    The starter bolts to the block. You shouldn't have any problems with engagement of the flywheel/flexplate.
    Elaborate on your setup
    Brian

sanger rat
    Sounds like he is trying to hook up a top mount starter bellhousing to his motor plate.

atxwrangler
    i,m sorry, i am running a big block ford, and trying to install a bottom mount starter. :hammerhea

sanger rat
    Why are you saying the flywheel is moved a 1/2 in.? I'm just trying to understand what you are telling us.

wsuwrhr
    i,m sorry, i am running a big block ford, and trying to install a bottom mount starter. :hammerhea
    You are making it hard for me to help you out.
    Does the starter bolt to the block or bellhousing?
    Not a Ford freak...Brian

atxwrangler
    the starter usually bolts to the bellhousing ,if you put a 1/2 '"plate in between the starter and bellhousing, the starter bendix will only reach out as far as it did before.would it hit the motor plate? question is can i run a regular bellhousing with a rail kit, or do i have to purchase a flywheel cover? :eat:

sanger rat
    I had know idea that Ford starters mount to the bellhousing on the bottom. I've seen them on top on the bellhousing. Sounds like you are going to need a flywheel cover.

atxwrangler
    thanks guys, i appreciate the help, sorry, if i confused everybody! :cry:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast