Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to spray WD-40 in spark plug hole?

jetdrive
    In order to start the engine in my boat after six or seven months and to get it ready for the summer, I decided to take the spark plugs out, take the coil wire off and get the engine crankin' (for about 30 seconds or so) to get it a bit lubed up before actually firing it up. I was wondering, before I go ahead and crank it, is it a good idea to spray WD-40 inside the spark plug holes to minimize friction between the piston and the side of the cylinders?
    Thanx in advance...

XClutchboy725
    SURE!! Won't hurt anything
    Might smoke like hell first time you fire her up!!!!!

jetdrive
    So, is it a good idea or it'll make no difference whether I do or not?
    Thanx again...

77charger
    do it to mine if its going to sit a while.

Infomaniac
    Go ahead and do it. If there is any corrosion in the cyls. it will loosen it up. Will be easier on the rings if so. Depending on how much you use, you may consider changing the plugs afterwards.

DEL51
    Wd 40 is fine,I use marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and crank it over.It smokes a little, but no plug fouling.

Unchained
    I saw on TV when they were racing nitro funny cars and they were in the staging lanes with the engine running. Before they put the body down they sprayed some stuff from an arisol can into the injector hat. I wondered if that was WD-40? MAybe it was to keep the butterflys from icing up? Maybe it gave some lube to the teflon strips on the blower? Anyone know?

XClutchboy725
    You must be refering to an Alcohol car, not a Top Fuel car. The Alcohol guys spray an aerosol anti-freeze directly into the hat (injector) during the Start-up and Burn-out process. this is because alcohol burns at such a cold temp! It can actually freeze up linkage, teflon, etc! Ever notice the Alcohol cars take much longer to stage than the Fuel cars? I kinda know a little bit on this topic....Was the clutch guy for Bobby Baldwin Top Fuel car before his passing...God rest his soul
    [This message has been edited by XClutchboy725 (edited February 25, 2002).]

Doug The Jeweler
    I agree,Mystery oil is a great product .It is designed to break up any rust and lube at the same time.After a long break I put the oil into each cylinder and let it sit in there for 1 day.
    [This message has been edited by Doug The Jeweler (edited February 25, 2002).]

BigDaddy
    Well Guys My 2 Cents arnt worth Much But I have been working metal for long time and i have built Hi Horse power motors for long time and Have done all Machining on an engine that you can do and work in Shops doing nothing But this and we Use WD40 as a Cutting oil and lube at same time it cools and helps cut or grind or Break down the metal so it will cut into it and I recomend using this marvel oil if you feel you need to do this But i dont think it is necessary becouse the Rings are designed to keep this sort of thing out of the combustion Chamber if you Feel you Must oil it before you start it up Take the valve covers off and Pour Oil over the Rocker arms and or Valves & Springs Etc this will oil the engine more to what it needs then to use WD40 were the p[iston Rings can Hone the cylinder More using WD40 as a Lubricant in the Combustion Chamber Unless you are Running a Deisel and if you are running a Deisel then do not Take the Valve covers Off this is a dirty Mess and you dont want to do this so i Hope i have been some help and am not trying to Tell you what to do in any way shape or form this is just a Small peice of my Opinion and my experiences with this Subject have a Nice day and Have fun Boating.
    even if it is a TrUck
    http://members.aol.com/bigdaddytx4u/...ash%20deep.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast