Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Charger Options...

SoundsGood
    I currently have 3 Blue Top Optimas (in parallel) on Perko #2 for the stereo (JL 500/1 pushing 2 12w3's & 200w Profile pushing 4 6.5 Alpines). I have an Everstart on Perko #1. Any ideas? I have a 2000 Rinker 27ft. cruiser whose stock charger is something to be desired. Thanks for the help.

Havasu Hangin'
    Onboard or portable?

SoundsGood
    Onboard

Havasu Hangin'
    I'd probably go with something like this (http://www.marinco2.com/showProduct.asp?p=2631) if you wanted to charge the stereo bank.
    10 amps is pretty much the limit on the Optimas...but I'd also get something that goes into a "maintain" mode.

SoundsGood
    Havasu Hangin'
    What if I purchase a 40 amp 3 bank system for the 3 blue top optimas? What will 13.3 amps do to the batteries? Thanks in advance.

CARRERA
    I'd probably go with something like this (http://www.marinco2.com/showProduct.asp?p=2631) if you wanted to charge the stereo bank.
    10 amps is pretty much the limit on the Optimas...but I'd also get something that goes into a "maintain" mode.
    That is the one I use, it works great. I just get home and pulg it in and forget about it, one, two three weeks no problem.

Scarlett Fever
    How long does your stereo last during the day? I have 5 D34 Optimas hooked up to my stereo and it only plays for about an hour. I have a Fosgate 2000BD and a Fosgate 1500T hooked to it. It charges up fine with the XantraxTC40+ but wont last for much more then an hour. I was going to upgrade the alternator and actually purchased a 135 Amp Wrangler but was told by the guys at Eliminator that any changes in alternator output will affect the air/fuel mix in the engine and make the boat run too rich. Anyone have any other ideas? Possibly hooking up a second alternator just for the stereo bank?

1stepcloser
    I actually purchased a 135 Amp Wrangler but was told by the guys at Eliminator that any changes in alternator output will affect the air/fuel mix in the engine and make the boat run too rich.
    :idea: I'm certainly no expert at this kind of stuff..... but that just doesnt add up.
    A higher output alternator is not going to make the boat do anything except supply more current to the electrical system when demand is there, such as when you have drained the batteries from your music.
    Certainly not going to make the boat run rich.
    Maybe you need a bank of 6v golf cart batteries.... Thats the way to go for extended capacity....

Beer-30
    was told by the guys at Eliminator that any changes in alternator output will affect the air/fuel mix in the engine and make the boat run too rich.
    Someone needs to track these guys down and string them up.

socalmark
    I will happily defer to the experts but my understanding is that if you have three batteries wired "parellel" you have one "bank" of batteries. The Everstart starting battery would be "bank" number two. I think you need a two bank charger. I have a Prosport 20 Plus that seems to be working well for 3 Optimas (one on Perko switch number one and two on Perko switch number two).
    I have the same sub amp and sub speakers you do and two JL 300/4 amps pushing 8 MB Quart speakers. The two Optimas can run all day at moderate volumes and about 5-6 hours at loud volumes.
    I am still trying to understand what I have done and would be happy to be contradicted. Gotta learn somehow. :squiggle:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast