Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omc Outdrive

76ANTHONY
    ok i have a freind who has a 79 caravelle with a 350 and a 800 omc out drive. i know nothing about out drives, but my freind had got this boat and the engine was all torn down. i've had it for two days and got it running and put together. but when you put it in gear the prop does not spin and the engine wants to die and will die. what do i do know. this to me is odd because i own a jet boat. help :idea:

73kona455
    sounds like the lower unit is locked up...can you spin the prop by hand?
    ..might drop the lower unit and see if the input shaft will turn ...

76ANTHONY
    KONA, yes the prop spins and out of about thirty trys the prop spun in the upright position, but only once. tahnks for your help.

Havasu Hangin'
    On those old OMCs, don't they have a gearset instead of a u-joint where the coupler connects the drive (for the tilt function)? If so, are the gears meshing correctly?

spectras only
    Anthony , your friend may need some parts from this source >
    http://www.sterndrive.info/id20.html

76ANTHONY
    spectras only, yeah i saw that on the internet and saw the breakdown also, it kinda looks like something i know nothing about. know a good shop in the area?

spectras only
    Anthony, those OMC 800 units are like dinosaurs and hard to get parts for. My buddy has some difficulties getting parts for his newer cobra drives .We have shops still working on these around here ,but way out of your neighborhood :wink: .

76ANTHONY
    yeah i noticed your area after i wrote that, sorry for the dumb question. this boat is a dinasour, kinda funny, he's putting 5000.00 dollars worth of stereo eqpt in it

spectras only
    Anthony, just talked to my local sterndrive guy.He said the knuckle/gear kit is available [ he quote me approx $ 600 cdn ] .So your friend should be able to get his boat fixed .

76ANTHONY
    THANK YOU, I NEEDED TO HEAR THAT. THIS GUY ACTS LIKE I KNOW WHAT IM DOING. OK I'LL TEAR IT DOWN TONIGHT AND CHECK IT OUT. :supp:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast