Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ford 460 cam timing 0 or 4 advanced degrees

szokejohn2
    I was looking on the internet and wondering how many of you guys with fords are running straight up timing of running 4 degrees advanced timing and have you see a lot of differance when you changed over.

Ken F
    It's going to depend a lot on your cam as to whether you will benefit or not.
    The most important is that you have an early model (pre-'72) timing set or not. '72 is when they retarded the timing 7* for smog control. That is the bigest improvement you can make.
    Have you run your engine on Desk top Dyno? If not, that is a great way to see what advancing your cam will do.
    Ken F

BigBlockBaja
    I followed everyones advise about the cam timing issue. When I put my valve train together i used the pre 72' double roller and a crane 280H magnum. I havent gotten it on the water yet, but from judging from the throttle response, its really crisp.

FILUCKY
    Go with a good adjustible timing set and run 4 degrees advanced, you'll be happy there.

Wicked Performance Boats
    You must degree it to know where it's at! Budlight

SoCalKev
    My 87 460 says 8 degrees. Its outta a 3/4 ton truck.
    Should I just time it at 8 degrees? Or are there any better settings? :sqeyes:

szokejohn2
    dont know,I would like to run it at 4 degrees after! anybody with any other thoughts??

SB
    Getting the early timing set gained me about 100 hp in my application.

Jetmugg
    It looks like the discussion may be crossing the line between cam timing and ignition timing. They are different issues.
    SteveM.

szokejohn2
    Thanks ,I have herd that more advanced cam timing will help with throttle responce and HP.I'm looking to get more rpms .With more HP you get more RPMs. Right? :messedup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast