Thread: Fuse question

phebus
    I bought some new amps, and I'm not exactly sure how to fuse them.
    One calls for a 100a fuse, and the other calls for a 120a fuse. Each amp is going to have two 4ga. power wires feeding it, and I don't know whether to go with the rated fuse on each wire, or to split the value in half for each.
    My thought is that each wire has the capability to carry the full amp load, so each power wire should be fused for the rated amps.
    Thoughts..........???????????

Havasu Hangin'
    Why two wires?
    In theory, you should half the fuses to protect the amp, or run the full amount on each wire to protect the limit of the wire and prevent a fire.
    Personally, I would only run one wire- less chance of creating a backfeed in case of a shorted wire.
    But also keep in mind that I don't know what the hell I am talking about.

phebus
    They are Phoenix Gold amps, that offer Dual Power Connection. From the manual:
    The X200.4 and X1200.1 have dual power terminals. The power terminals are wired in parrallel so one or both of the inputs can be used for a normal installation. In most applications, one 4 gauge input will supply enough current to the amplifier, but in some SPL situations, the option of using dual 4gauge inputs is available.
    I am running 1/0 gauge to the distribution blocks (fused approx 10" from perko with a 250a breaker), and figured that from the distribution blocks to the amps was such a short distance, why not just run two 4 gauge power wires to each amp. The last thing I want is power issues, but if it is unnecessary and might cause more problems then good, I would just go with a single 4 gauge power wire.
    Whatcha think????

Havasu Hangin'
    The dual power terminals are probably to allow you to daisy-chain them together.
    In any case, one, 1-2' 4 gauge wire will have less that a .02 volt drop (resistance) across it, and should be able to handle 130 amps (with less than .5 volt drop across it...the generally accepted rule of thumb) with no problems.
    If you are still set on using two power wires...just halve the fuses.

Havasu Hangin'
    And never let it be said that I do not help a brother out when I can...
    http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/system.jpg

phebus
    O.K., if I run duals, how should I fuse them. Fuse each for amp draw, or each 1/2 of amp draw?
    And yes, the manual states: Do not use auxillary power terminal to power an additional amplifier!

phebus
    HH, I see on the diagram you posted, you entered the specs of my system. Are the yellow values shown, what I should fuse to, or should I fuse to the fuse ratings in the manual. The values on the chart are much lower.
    Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
    HH, I see on the diagram you posted, you entered the specs of my system. Are the yellow values shown, what I should fuse to, or should I fuse to the fuse ratings in the manual. The values on the chart are much lower.
    Thanks
    Naw...those are just recommendations in case you didn't have specs from the manufacturer.

phebus
    If you are still set on using two power wires...just halve the fuses.
    That would be great, because if I was going to have to use two 120a fuses, and two 100a fuses, I would have had to have gone with big expensive ANL fuse holders (times 4). With a max of a 60a fuse, my options are much greater. :idea: