Thread: Automatic tranny?

Notonall8
    I have a Ford C4 tranny that I want to put in my V-drive. What modifications do I need to perform to the tranny to make it work? Obviously, I have to convert it to a manual valve body. Do I run a torque converter? If not, what do I replace it with? I'm assuming I need to run a transmission cooler. I will need to modify my driveline to hook it up, can I use the transmission yolk off of a car? I am currently running a Ford 351W through a Hallcraft parallel shaft in/out V-drive with a 10% overdrive. I hate the clunk when shifting from neutral to gear, and I use the boat primarilly for skiing. The boat also moves too fast in wake zones, and the fuzz is starting to crak down on that in Shasta where I go for a week a year. The lower gears in the C4 would reduce my wake zone speed & save me tickets. Any help provided would be great. Thanks in advance!
    Steve

schiada96
    You need a few parts to make it work a coupler or locked up converter from Art Carr,TCI or Hughes.A flexplate or flywheel depending on what coupler you use.A manual valve body so you can't shift into reverse at speed.You can have a driveshaft made to work or you can buy one from Rex Marine. Mike at rex can set you up with all you need I think.

Jet City
    Here is a link to a great forum for Ford tranny's, some real knowledge there http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730. I second going to Mike (Rex Marine) for your parts, they've been real helpful to me in the past on choosing the right products.
    In addition to whats stated above, if you get an automotive type shifter, avoid or eliminate reverse lock-out feature, not needed with reverse pattern and makes finding reverse for docking a POS.