Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a surge trailer be converted

WYRD
    I have surge brakes on my trailer now and want to change to electric, is that possible or cost effective? What is involved? Thanks.
    Shane
    WYRD

dirty old man
    Of course, its very easy, and costly, but worth while, done it to my last couple of boat trailers. Check with your boat dealer/service dept

H20 Toie
    Change it to electric over hydralic from what i understand they have systems now that work great.

WYRD
    Change it to electric over hydralic from what i understand they have systems now that work great.
    I am not happy with the stopping power of the surge brakes now. I tow other trailers and the electric controller I have works so much better with alot heavier of a load (10-11klbs) If it is cost effective I would love to do that with the boat trailer.

Run_em_Hard
    WYRD...get ahold of my old man. I do believe that he knows quite a bit about this subject.

WYRD
    WYRD...get ahold of my old man. I do believe that he knows quite a bit about this subject.
    Have him call or email me when you see him. Thanks.

H20 Toie
    I am not happy with the stopping power of the surge brakes now. I tow other trailers and the electric controller I have works so much better with alot heavier of a load (10-11klbs) If it is cost effective I would love to do that with the boat trailer.
    But how well are electric brakes going to work after being sumerged in the water.
    The surge brakes on my myco trailer work great.

OCMerrill
    I converted my Hensley trailer from surge to Electric. Bonus here was I converted to a removable trailer tongue as well.
    http://www.fultonperformance.com/pro...p=3&subgroup=4
    I used the new "Sharkskin Coated" brake assemblies that resist corrosion and are designed to boat applications. I made my own little waterproof battery break away box as well. The total I spent on parts and a controller for my truck and my motor home was less than $700 doing the work myself.
    I had a bad surge system, bent actuator coupler so I needed repairs anyway.
    Electric over hydraulic is also a very cool way to go. With this method you can use Disk Brakes! But the cost for my light weight 21' Lavey was not justified.
    Now I just have a STD lightweight 2" coupler instead of that hungus garbage hyd. coupler that did nothing.

RitcheyRch
    Not to hi-jack this thread but how expensive would it be to add brakes to a trailer that doesnt have any? I thought about calling Allen Hensley up see what he thought. Or do you guys know any other places that could do that work?
    I converted my Hensley trailer from surge to Electric. Bonus here was I converted to a removable trailer tongue as well.
    I used the new "Sharkskin Coated" brake assemblies that resist corrosion and are designed to boat applications. I made my own little waterproof battery break away box as well. The total I spent on parts and a controller for my truck and my motor home was less than $700 doing the work myself.
    I had a bad surge system, bent actuator coupler so I needed repairs anyway.
    Electric over hydraulic is also a very cool way to go. With this method you can use Disk Brakes! But the cost for my light weight 21' Lavey was not justified.
    Now I just have a STD lightweight 2" coupler instead of that hungus garbage hyd. coupler that did nothing.

OCMerrill
    I know Trailrite Trailers in Santa Ana does work on most anyones trailer. You could try them but they might be a little far from you.
    Al Hensley of Hensley trailers? I tried to find them 6 months ago with no luck. I thought out of business?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast