Thread: Header Question

Devilman
    How long does it take for headers to blue(discolor) from lack of water?
    My boat didn't have any valve or control over how much water went to the headers, which was too much. Along with steam, I had water running outta the ends of the headers & outta the weep holes into the boat. I put a valve in the line feeding the headers so I could cut the water back to a respectable amount. Just curious if the discoloring process was something I would see instantly or something gradual that would creep up on me, while I experiment with the valve setting..... My headers are already a little rusty, I don't wanna screw 'em up any more than they already are!

oldbuck40
    How long does it take for headers to blue(discolor) from lack of water?
    My boat didn't have any valve or control over how much water went to the headers, which was too much. Along with steam, I had water running outta the ends of the headers & outta the weep holes into the boat. I put a valve in the line feeding the headers so I could cut the water back to a respectable amount. Just curious if the discoloring process was something I would see instantly or something gradual that would creep up on me, while I experiment with the valve setting..... My headers are already a little rusty, I don't wanna screw 'em up any more than they already are! hey Devilman all i run on mine is a ball valve b/4 the bassett T valve and have it adjusted where the Tvalve opens at around 13 to 1500 rpm with very little drip at the weep hole while running at cruise'n speed. all you should need to be ok is a little steam and just a fine mist of water coming out the back.

Captain no fun
    A friend of mine gave me some almost cement type of gunk he got at a Harley shop, that I mixed up and poured into the headers when new ( Basset twisties) I had no faith, but I haven't blued yet. I also run a small pump that I manually run at low speed just to keep tha headers cool. I've got a nasty cam, and reversion is always an issue. You should get no water to your headers below 1500 RPM with the Bassett Ball. I hope that kinda helps

Devilman
    I may have mislead with too much info. I was mainly curious as to the heat discoloration process itself. Is this something that happens slowly, like I could get my valves right & not turn them blue, or happens fast like, BAM! too much heat=blue headers. Thats what I was wondering...

BrendellaJet
    depends on the chrome job! You'll know when they have gone too dry for too long...