Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another dumb question

sigepmock
    Thinking about making the jump into a cat/tunnel. I love the ride quality but have the same uneducated fear of turning in them that most V bottom guys have. I've talked to a few of you guys in person and even asked for some driving lessons when and if the time comes....but I was thinking ...Are there boat driving schools like they are for cars and bikes???
    I've been to a couple performance driving schools for cars, bikes, hell even took a wake boarding class for a day....and I can honestly say my skill level dramatically improved after each....
    I'd like to consider myself a pretty good driver/rider and if I get a cat I'd like to gain that same level of respect and confidence I have in my land based vehicles....I know time behind the wheel is always key but is there such a school for boats offered here on the west coast?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Phat Matt
    I was very affraid to turn the wheel after going from my V to the cat. I took the owner out with me though and we talked about it and he showed me what it could do. I have had a decent amount of time with the new boat and feel much more comfortable now. Mine actually leans into the turns like a V. I still wouldn't crank it as hard as the V, but it's not uncomfortable.

Jordy
    I know Tres Martin offers a school that runs a couple days, predominately offshore driving lessons and it's not a cheap course. He's out of Florida but does them on the West Coast from time to time. Cats do take a bit of getting used to but once you're there, it's a kick to run.

Dave C
    IMHO its not that big of a deal. especially since you are already a boater. I sometimes wonder about those brand new owners that get a fast cat as their first.
    You will learn everything you need to know quickly. If you have your head screwed on straight (which it sounds like you do) and you go easy at first, you will learn quickly and not get into any trouble.
    Most of the finer nuances of the boat have to do with proper trim. If you can get that info from the former owner or builder, thats half the problem solved. even this can be learned through observation.
    couple things are pretty consistent:
    1) avoid fast sharp turns or slow down and trim properly before sharp turns.
    2) if it takes the wrong set in the turn, slow the rate of turn.
    3) for the best ride quality, drive head-on into the rollers or at a 45 degrees. Not sides ways.
    last but not least, mash accelerator down, keep only knee on steering wheel while chugging a beer bong and adjusting radio.... :rollside:

Havasu_Dreamin
    Is it reasonable to say that the same holds true for drving a deckboat as opposed to a regular cat? Just curious as I've always heard about the nuances of driving cat vs. a V.

Goodtime$
    If you want to come out for a ride, I can take you out in rough water in one of our boats. It just takes time adjusting to a different boat, like road racing a RWD car and than jumping into a FWD car.
    PM me for details, im not trying to sell you a boat. But there is a lot to learn and once you go tunnel, you never go back. I just sold my Vdrive to jump into a tunnel. If you boat in big water, the tunnel is nice to have. Wether it is a 27 Ultra of a 21 daytona, it is a nice change of ride from the standard bowrider.

Phat Matt
    I was glad that I was in the E-ticket after we left BML and headed up to the sanbar. It was like a washing machine out there but my ride was pretty good. I was watching an unamed friend in a 27 V get kicked around. It didn't look like a lot of fun. Of course the water isn't always like that though.

GLWBEAR
    2003 Mach 34 "Poker Run Edition" with the NEW 2006 Bottom upgrade, Mercury #-6 Drives Teague 1050 hp motors, everything is mint, Extreme trailer cost $30,000 26 Hours total run time on motors. See at the DCB showroom in San Diego. Every option. The only Mach 34 with a Lower Salon and sleeping quarters below deck.
    Firm price: $257,995.00 In 9 Powerboat Magazine cover ads!
    Call Dave at DCB for more information. (619) 442-0300

sigepmock
    I was glad that I was in the E-ticket after we left BML and headed up to the sanbar. It was like a washing machine out there but my ride was pretty good. I was watching an unamed friend in a 27 V get kicked around. It didn't look like a lot of fun. Of course the water isn't always like that though.
    Yeah tell me about it...we pulled out right behind you, Frenchie, and Shake Something or Other....... in our little 21 Stealth. Needless to say there were good times and bad times on that ride back to the channel. I think it was the nail in the confin for us and Vee bottoms.....the wife saw all those cats cruising by like nothing ....I guess thats a good thing.
    Chris

sigepmock
    If you want to come out for a ride, I can take you out in rough water in one of our boats. It just takes time adjusting to a different boat, like road racing a RWD car and than jumping into a FWD car.
    PM me for details, im not trying to sell you a boat. But there is a lot to learn and once you go tunnel, you never go back. I just sold my Vdrive to jump into a tunnel. If you boat in big water, the tunnel is nice to have. Wether it is a 27 Ultra of a 21 daytona, it is a nice change of ride from the standard bowrider.
    Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on that. I am definately looking for as much input as possible and would like to get a feel for the different boats out there.
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast