Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welders!

78Eliminator
    My friend is moving and he was nice enough to give me a welding rig that his dad gave him a while back. He didn't know a whole lot about it, so I was wondering if anyone in here might be able to tell me what I have, how much it's worth and if I will be able to make some nice welds with it. Is it for alluminum, steel? I want to learn so please tell me what I have.... Thanks in advance.
    The rig is a Electra Beckum Pocket Pro 110

Blown 472
    is it a wire feed?? tig what?? if a wire feed you can weld alum wif it just have to get the gun and gas for it. Sounds like a small 110 wire feed

78Eliminator
    Blown 472:
    is it a wire feed?? tig what?? if a wire feed you can weld alum wif it just have to get the gun and gas for it. Sounds like a small 110 wire feed It's a wire feed and also came with a green tank of some shit.....

Tom Brown
    That's probably inert shit...

Blown 472
    Is it set up for 110 volt?? if so they can weld nice, just wont do thick stuff.

Tom Brown
    I remember being told that MIG welding was really easy and that anyone can do it. That's why I bought a MIG. I wasn't that great with a stick. Well, I'm not so great with a stick and I'm not so great with a MIG.
    Oh sure, I can lay down a nice looking bead and stuff usually does what I want. I'm happy to that end. The thing is, any time I've tested my welds they literally hold nothing compared to welds my buddy makes with his more powerful equipment, knowledge and years of experience.
    It's not so easy welding something light to something heavy which is pretty much what I'm always doing. Body panels aren't that tough but welding a nut onto a piece of pipe and then expecting it to take 200 ft*lbs of torque is another story.
    I guess don't have what it takes to be a good welder but I would suggest to someone starting out (like me) to get as much practice as you can and don't trust your own welds on anything that would hurt you if it breaks. Also, any time someone offers advice, I'm all ears.

cal-air
    78Eliminator:
    Pocket Pro 110 Are you sure it's a welder???? Sounds like some sort of bedroom 'tool'

Blown 472
    cal-air:
    78Eliminator:
    Pocket Pro 110 Are you sure it's a welder???? Sounds like some sort of bedroom 'tool' bbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

78Eliminator
    Well, ok. I think I'll just take my new ass jack hammer, errrrr, I mean welding rig to a welding shop and just ask them there what I need to get started.

gnarley
    That'll jawdrop wake her up
    But really, it sounds like a nice little 110v A/C mig with gas. That little green tank is the gas shield that is used for shielding while doing the weld & is probably CO2. Heck it should be enough to do little jobs & mild steel 1/8 to 1/4. Free??? Sounds good to me, make sure you use it on at least a 20-amp circuit & not much length in the extension cord if you need to use one. The more cord you use the greater the voltage drop & sooner you'll pop a breaker unless you have a really big extension & 30-amp breaker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast