Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp help Roz

Blownboat
    Help Roz,3 10 inch w-3 jl audio,1000 watt jl amp ,4 deep cycle batts load tested and fully charged. 8 jl mids and tweets with 800 watt amp. Jl 1000,gain 3/4 up, base nob 1/2 way up 23 volume sub amp starts clipping! book says it wont flash low volts till 8 and comes back on at 9.. Fluke voltmeter never reads below 11.9 on heavy thumps at amp. Blue low volt light comes on almost constant!Amp problem??? Its 2 months old. Have you heard of this before. It is not heat. It will do it in a air conditioned garage as soon as you turn it on and turn it up. It hasnt always done this,the women are gettin mad. Amp remote wire :messedup: has 12 volts and sub ohms are around 1.7. Thanks for the tips....

Blownboat
    Oh ya, 4 gauge ground and power to each amp 14 feet run. :rollside:

ROZ
    Okay.... I see you have 3 10w3, but how are they wired and what impedance are they?
    1.7 is an odd number.... May have a blown sub...
    Gain is kinda high too...

Beer-30
    Lemme jump in here, Roz. Tell me if I am wrong on this.
    Would one want to turn the gains all the way down on all amps;
    Turn the deck volume to 3/4 or so of its scale;
    then adjust gains to loudest clean level?

ROZ
    You're correct... Even better is finding the decks true line level clip on a scope using a tone disc and then adjust the amp accorningly... Things start to get complicated from then on, so doing it by ear really works best for 90% percent of us

Beer-30
    Thanks.

Flashover
    If the problem keeps happening go to your local car audio shop and get a cap either a 1 ferrad cap or a half a ferrad cap. I would suggest a 1 ferrad cap, use it just on your sub amp. It looks like a 24oz beer can with 2 terminals on the top. It goes inline On your 12v 4Guage posative lead to your amp, It needs to be about a foots worth of 4 guage away from your amp so it will be the most effective. It supplies alot of extra power to your amp so that when your bass is hitting and draining all the power from its own internal caps (thats another reason why your amp is clipping) Your amp will get all of the extra power it needs from the cap. Also watch the gains on your amp don't turn them up to high and make sure that the LOUD button on your deck is off. If you have any other questions let me know I will be glad to help if i can
    Slick.

Havasu Hangin'
    It supplies alot of extra power to your amp so that when your bass is hitting and draining all the power from its own internal caps....Your amp will get all of the extra power it needs from the cap.
    :idea:

mbrown2
    :idea:
    LOL....jump right in with both feet

boxscore
    LOL....jump right in with both feet
    I love CAP fans. :messedup:

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast