Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q: Catalina Ski Race Pre Race Proceedure

burtandnancy
    Since the finish line has changed, and there are supposedly problems in the channel, are they still going to have the parade to the dock to turn in drivers licences? Haven't seen anything written about that. Its always great to see every boat go past the dock before the race. Hope its not too late to get an answer, everyone is probably there by now.
    See you in AM

Riverkid
    I asked about that specifically at tech the other night. They were 90% sure they would still have the parade over to the WC dock to turn in ID's, and they would let the racers know what channel route was safe during the driver's meeting this afternoon. We were churning up mud when we used that dock all week during training runs...
    I've got an aircard for my laptop - I'll update this after we get down there later this morning and I talk to Randy.
    Enjoy the race. It should be real fast this year...

dirty old man
    Coming down from Lake Mead to watch. If the race is shortened, are all the old records voided? What happened to the channel?

Riverkid
    The Catalina Express guys dredged the channel out - on one side only. They dumped the sludge on the other side... It's REAL shallow in parts, amd no, they have not yet addressed the adjusted course distance for the records.

BROADMINDED
    I Dont Think It Will Do Anything To The Records. A Few Years Back The Finish Line Was At The Quenn Mary And I Dont Think They Changed Anything.

dirty old man
    Dredged the Channel? That really sucks! (pun intended)

BROADMINDED
    Hey River When Was The 50 Th. Annver. Of The Race. That Was The First Year I Did The Race And The Quenn Mary Was The Finish Line. 99 Or 2k?

Riverkid
    This is the 57th running this year, so I guess the 50th was 1998? I suck at math...

superdave013
    OK, dumb question #1:
    Where is the finish line this year?
    Dumb question #2:
    Where is the best place to watch (on shore)

Riverkid
    Finish line this year (as I was told at tech this week) is the fantail of the QM. If the cruise ship is there also it will make good viewing pretty tough. Get out on a boat! Otherwise prerun the area. I've seen peeps all over the place on shore, but how they got there I can't tell you. Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast