Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more sub and amp ?'s

kcvega
    I may come across as an idiot but here goes anyways. Looking at 2 Kicker comp 12's 4ohm rated at 150 watts rms and their zx300.1 amp. Wiring those speakers in parallel should give me 300 watts rms x 1 so is that 150 watts to each speaker? Would this be the right way to go?

ROZ
    I may come across as an idiot but here goes anyways. Looking at 2 Kicker comp 12's 4ohm rated at 150 watts rms and their zx300.1 amp. Wiring those speakers in parallel should give me 300 watts rms x 1 so is that 150 watts to each speaker? Would this be the right way to go?
    that depends... is the 300 x1 at 2 or 4 ohm ? Dictating the measure of resistance to the amp changes how much power the amp will put out...

kcvega
    The 300.1 puts out 300 x 1 at 2ohms. Now just for arguments sake could I be better off getting a 2 channel amp at around the same power? That way I could add 2 more subs if I wanted.

Jesster
    If the speakers are 150 watt use it as you have it set up now. The Kicker amp is a Class D amp which is far more efficient than whatever 2Ch amp you buy.
    This also depends on what you are powering the rest of the system with if you are running a couple Kicker 900's then you may want to rethink your sub and amp choices.

kcvega
    I don't have any amps yet. I've got 4 Polk Momo 6.5's and was going to use a 350.4 which is 60x4 rms at 4 ohms. Just didn't know what to do for subs. The cheaper Kicker comp 12's are 150 watts rms, the next step up would be the cvr's at 300 watts rms. It might be worth it to step up a little on the subs, I just don't know.

kcvega
    Can't have enough power now can we? Found a pair of new cvr's on ebay for $150 shipped so that's not bad at all. That amp is more pricey than what I started looking at but oh well. That always happens just have to find a limit somewhere. Now, sealed or ported? Sealed hits harder and ported has more low end rap style boom, is that correct?

kcvega
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks. I'm kinda tired of looking and deciding. Now when my batteries run dead can I blame you?

Jesster
    I don't have any amps yet. I've got 4 Polk Momo 6.5's and was going to use a 350.4 which is 60x4 rms at 4 ohms. Just didn't know what to do for subs. The cheaper Kicker comp 12's are 150 watts rms, the next step up would be the cvr's at 300 watts rms. It might be worth it to step up a little on the subs, I just don't know.
    Realistically the 350.4 is only giving about 35-40W per channel, the Polks are rated at 80 RMS 180 peak you would be better off with extra power than with to little so I would go with what SWB said for subs and amp and with the Kicker ZX650.4 which will give you about 75-80 or so clean watts at 12.8 volts which is right around where it will be when sitting in a cove or at the sandbar.
    I'm sure if I am incorrect in this I will be corrected.

kcvega
    I'll consider that 650. I'll get some more overtime at some point so might as well huh? Didn't think too much about the wattage dropping with the voltage, thanks. And I won't be sitting at "The Sandbar" but we do have fun island here in Oklahoma. Do you think .8 cu. ft. is right? The spec goes down to 1 cu. ft. on those subs. And how does box size affect the sound?

kcvega
    Ok cool. I'm getting 12's by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast