Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil pressure

Just Tool'n
    Changed the oil yesterday & put on a new oil filter, a Fram HP-1, a high performance filter.
    Went to start up the boat today to go to the lake & watched to my amazement that I had no oil pressure!
    WTF?
    I know I put 10qt of oil in the pan.
    I look to see if I have oil squirting out of the remote oil filter mount.
    None coming out!
    So I take the new filter off & put the old one back on it. Start it up I now have oil pressure.
    Anyone ever see this type of thing happen before?

Moneypitt
    Was there ANY oil in the new filter? What brand was the old filter? Is it Possible the remote is plumbed backward, as SOME oil filters will not flow if in/out are switched, and others will. OR how long did you run the motor before removing new filter, long enough to fill the filter, (10-30 sec), as the old one would have oil in it and would respond sooner...Any help?...Moneypitt

kojac
    I think fram had a bad run on filters. I had the same thing happen to me on one of my oil changes. When I was at the races at high point several years ago a friend of mine was racing and changed oil filters before the race and when he started the boat he had no oil pressure. I told him about my experience with fram filters and he said his new filter was a fram. He changed to a new filter and got his oil pressure back and won his bracket.
    I hope this is all that was wrong with your ride. I don't use fram anymore and when ever the subject of oil filters comes up (rarely) I give my nickle's worth.
    good luck.
    kojac wink

Big Boys Toy PE857
    I had the same exact thing happen to me recently with a Fram filter. Also a friend of mine had it to happen to him at a race in St Louis several years ago. He went as far as to pull the motor out and take off the pan and check the bearings.
    I'm done with Fram filters.

Just Tool'n
    There was oil in the new filter.
    I did run it about 30 sec, the 1st time.
    10 sec 2 more times just to see if it would change.
    The filter that was on it was a Baldwin filter.
    Since I bought the boat used in Jan of 2003, this is the 1st oil change on it.
    I will look to see if the remote filter is plumbed backwards, I do not think that it is, seeing that it had 78 hours on a new motor combo.

Jordy
    Just my $.02, I'd never use a Fram filter on anything I own. The company I ran lube truck for wouldn't use them on anything either, and they had several hundred pieces of equipment (trucks, tractors, semis, pavers, etc...) We ran Wix on everything with really good results.

Moneypitt
    WOW!! I'm shocked! Although I've never had a problem with fram filters, the stories I'm seeing here can't be discounted. Has anyone ever contacted fram, Allied Co, or who ever the parent co. is now. These are heavy duty issues that I'm sure the co. would like to know about. I was once told, by someone in the industry, that most oil filters were made by one overseas manufacturer, the paint and the logos were the only difference. Can anyone supply any "straight poop" on this subject? OR suppy the web sight that would cover fram, as I would like to hear what they have to say about the failures of their product..Moneypitt

kp216
    Here's a previous thread on the same topic...
    http://forums.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=5;t=001591

Just Tool'n
    I am going down to pick-up at least 3 Baldwin oil filters today.
    Why 3, because the distributor is never open on saturday's when I find time to do this type of stuff!

My preference is not Fram either although we do sell them because there are substantial numbers of people who want them (ad driven). I prefer K&N or Baldwin which we sell both of also. They are better made filters IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast