Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attention Olds Guys... I need help!

n8dawg
    I ended up blowing a head gasket. So I took the heads off, had them checked for cracks and resurfaced. Now they're ready to bolt on.
    What I need help with is : What is the firing order? If I'm looking at the front of the engine which cylinder is # 1. Is it like a small block chevy or like a ford? A picture would be nice. Ajusting the valves, my rocker arms appear to be self adjusting, do I still have to go in order like a chevy or do you just tighten them down to a certain torque spec? One more thing. What is the torque pattern for the intake manifold? I have the head bolt pattern already.
    Any help would be great. You can call me if you don't feel like typing it out, or steer me towards a olds web site or something.
    Thank You
    Nate

n8dawg
    oh yeah phone # is (562) 544-8408

Moneypitt
    The Olds V8 and the Chevy V8 share the same cylinder location and firing order. The intake torque is 23 to 35 lbs, and the pattern would be the common sense order of the middle out, alternating from side to side.........MP

SmokinLowriderSS
    As far as #1 cylinder goes, look at the block. #1 cylinder is an inch farther foreward than #2 (well, 3/4 inch maybe) I THINK it's on the left like other GM blocks, but I am unsure.
    Someone with real olds experience will be on sooner or later. I THINK the rockers are non-adjustable so they should just torque into place. I run a Chevy so I can't say with certainty.
    I will be greatly surprised if the intake manifold torque pattern is NOT center first alternating to the ends. I know that is not a real "pattern" but I really think it's of less importance than head bolts in a patern.
    I've tried to find some things but have not found a lot. I'm just not looking hard enough I suppose. Here's the best place to start. If ya run an Olds, sooner or later, you need Joe (Mondello). :idea:
    http://www.mondellotwister.com/

Moneypitt
    Oh yeah, I'm assuming it is a hyd stock type valve train, and the rocker pivots are not adjustable. You can however get adjustable pushrods to fine tune the valve adjustment in the upper reaches of the lifter travel to avoid floating valves with oil pressure increases to the lifters.....The Mondello link is a good place to "window" shop for Olds stuff, and there is alot of it out there......MP

n8dawg
    thanks guys for the quick response!

SmokinLowriderSS
    Window shop across those Mondello Carbon Fibre valve covers sometime. WOOOOOOOOO Pretty. :smile:

Chevy firing order = 18436752
    Any others ... you're on you're own

kp216
    Here ya go.
    Cylinder numbering:
    1,3,5,7 driver side - 2,4,6,8 passenger side
    Firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Sleek-Jet
    The firing order and cylinders are numbered the same as a Chevy...
    However, the olds distributer turns in the opposite direction (counter clockwise I think) than the chevy.
    edited to change the way my clock turns :rollside:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast