Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panther Pumps (HELP) more R.P.M from my moter

Quickkarl
    I have a 1977 Tahiti 18 ft with a new 454 stroked to 496 ci , Everything new the block has been bored .060 over, Scat crank Scat rods, J E Pistons,and int balanced also, I used a comp 575 lift cam with comps stainless roller Rockers ,and i toped them off with a set of Jomar Stud girdles. I put a set of Edelbrock Alum Marine heads 61559 p/n Im using 2 750 Eld Carbs on a Offy tunnel ramand my spark is all MSD 6al box dist 8.5 wires soft tuch rev limiter I now have 10 hours on this moter i ran the rev limiter up to 7000 rps AND LOW N BEHOLD IT WONT REV PAST 6100 AINT THAT SOME S T HELP ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT
    THANK YOU
    QUICK KARL

BrendellaJet
    sounds like evey other jet boat! :rollside:

Quickkarl
    iM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO TELL ME SOMETHING I DONT KNOW LOLOLOLOLOLOLO :idea:

victorfb
    set the rev limiter to 9000 and it will fly. :hammerhea

Squirtin Thunder
    I have a 1977 Tahiti 18 ft with a new 454 stroked to 496 ci , Everything new the block has been bored .060 over, Scat crank Scat rods, J E Pistons,and int balanced also, I used a comp 575 lift cam with comps stainless roller Rockers ,and i toped them off with a set of Jomar Stud girdles. I put a set of Edelbrock Alum Marine heads 61559 p/n Im using 2 750 Eld Carbs on a Offy tunnel ramand my spark is all MSD 6al box dist 8.5 wires soft tuch rev limiter I now have 10 hours on this moter i ran the rev limiter up to 7000 rps AND LOW N BEHOLD IT WONT REV PAST 6100 AINT THAT SOME S T HELP ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT
    THANK YOU
    QUICK KARL
    To be perfectly honest you really don't want it to rev past 6100, you just don't know it yet !!!
    You may want to talk to CS19 he may be able to shead some light on the subject. But as a Berk dealer I can say you are starting to fall off the efficancy band wagon. How fast is this Boat really ??? Do you want it to last all Summmer ??? 5500 would be a better max rpm, Call Jack@MPD. He does some real nice work on impellers. Steelcomp ran something like 93mph at 5500rpms at Ming, with one of Jacks MPD "B" impellers.

AZKC
    I think he's got a Panther pump. And spinning one of those 6100 is something. Is the pump fresh also??

malcolm
    According to my calulations, that puts you at around 625 hp, what are you worried about?!? What's the GPS say? You must be really moving for a Panther.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I know the 454 is a hell for strong (and solid as a steel ingot) motor, and there are some really good aftermarket parts out there, but IMHO, putting the loud pedal on the fibreglass and screaming 6,100 RPM very many times, very often, for very long, is just asking, no BEGGING for it to eventually go off like a grenade, a very EXPENSIVE grenade. 454 parts (and even worse, 496" parts) are HEAVY (relatively speaking).
    What do you want to spin, 7,000??? How many passes you want to make at THAT?
    I gotta agree with Thunder, tune the pump to load her down to 5,500 RPM and you can go darn fast for YEARS instead of weeks.

malcolm
    Kinda hard to "tune" a Panther. :boxed:

SmokinLowriderSS
    Well, Yea, that is true Malcolm. A distinct SHORTAGE of parts out there to mod it. I forget that part sometimes. hahaha Kinda like my Berk "F". :rollside:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast