Thread: bbf alt. mount

gregr1971
    i need to find or fab up an altenator mount for a bbf, any pics or places i can get one? all i can find is a dang bbc, i have a top mount but i want it on the bottom.

i need to find or fab up an altenator mount for a bbf, any pics or places i can get one? all i can find is a dang bbc, i have a top mount but i want it on the bottom.
    ck with Squirtin' Thunder or 460_just_getn_it...they may have a spare or know where u can get 1
    fastrat

A couple pictures of my homemade BBF alternator setup.
    The pieces/parts. Generic turnbuckle from Ace Hardware. Misc bolts, nuts, washers, and spacer.
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/althardware.jpg
    Below it's mounted using the old four point mount. The pivot point bolt (top bolt) goes to the cylinder head.
    I had to drill a hole in, and tap the front mount plate for the turnbuckle mounting bolt.
    The turnbuckle end loops are slightly larger than the bolts, and I used some brass bushings to take up the slack (hardware store has those too).
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/alternatormount.jpg
    Re-used the same pieces parts to mount it with the rail kit when I made the changeover from four point to rail. On this one, I used the bolt for the foot/pad that holds it to the rail.
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/alternatort.jpg
    Total cost for the project was $14.00 or thereabouts. That included having to buy the tap.
    Necessity was the mother of invention (actually copied the nice factory ones). My stock mount broke and I wanted to go boating. The setup ran on the boat for about 4 years with the four point mount and another four since changed over to rails.
    The nicest part of the setup is how easy it is to make the adjustments for belt tension. No more prying on the alternator with screwdrivers, crowbars etc. Just screw the turnbuckle in or out.

Squirtcha...
    very nice set-up...i think that it could be used on a BBC also...i especially like the way it adjusts...much easier than the old way (crowbar)
    fastrat

gregr1971
    squirtcha,
    i like it ! , i have an aluminum turnbuckle from an old sbc billet pulley set up, i knew i would find a use for all this junk i collect!!!(the stuff my wife tells me to throw away!) thanks for the info!

Well good. I hope it works out for ya's. It's a low dollar setup that looks semi-custom and it works pretty well.
    Just watch your pulley alignment. When I mounted it the second time (with the rail kit bottom photo), I had to mess with the spacer a bit so the pulleys lined up properly. I had it off by just a smidge and it was slinging belts off, until I found the problem and rectified it. Now she's good ta go.

Mighty Thor
    I just went to the wrecking yard and pulled one off of a truck with a low mount alternator. Can't remember what year but there are lots of trucks with the low mount. simple clean and guaranteed to fit. I know the truck I pulled mine off of had airconditioning and so the alternator was low on the passenger side. Whole thing was $3.00. Oh, I had to paint it too!