Thread: Oil Level

Cole Sanger
    Ok, this may be a dumb question, but I am full of those. I have a Dan Olson 14 quart oil pan. It used to have a stock looking dipstick mounted on the side of the pan. I bought one of those Lokar dipsticks. The ones that are covered in with braided stainless steel. So this Lokar dipstick needs to be marked for the oil level. My question is this, do I trust the mark on the original dipstick? I want to make sure that I have enough oil, but not too much. I was just wondering what a person would do if they didn't have an original dipstick to go by, what they would do. More to the point, I don't know if I trust the original dipstick mark. I called Dan Olson Motorsports a while back, but they didn't have any ideas. Atleast the guy I talked to didn't have any idea. Thanks in advance.

Moneypitt
    It is all Olsen, right? Meaning windage tray also.....Drain it, if oil is fresh, save it, and measure and add 14 qts, mark your new stick and you'll know when you're full...You might consider marking the stick at 11, 12, and 13 qts as well as full. If you change the filter, add enough to bring it back to full after running it.............The key here is to get it full, but not over full which will cause whipping/foaming on the water. I've heard of guys that only run 10 qts in a 12 qt pan, and/or 12 in a 14 qt pan for this reason..........MP

Cole Sanger
    This pan is dry after the engine build, so I don't have any way to mark it now.

team 933
    Most pans use the stock dip stick holder and pan rails, why not the stock full level. It never changes the bottom of the oil pan is only bigger???

olbiezer
    with 14 qts do u really have to be exact? put 14 qts in it and use it as a mark for future.

Cole Sanger
    Team and Ol, both of those ideas are what I was wondering. It's just one of those things you don't want to get wrong. Thanks for the info. I will mark it tomorrow. Getting closer.

SANGER-RICH
    Most pans use the stock dip stick holder and pan rails, why not the stock full level. It never changes the bottom of the oil pan is only bigger???
    I totally agree, a stock dip stick will give you the exact level without over filling pan.
    My 25 cents worth
    :idea:

ColeTR2
    I have a Dooley pan 10qt so Dooley says. If I put 10qts in it, itÂ’s over the top line on the dipstick and blows oil out of all the seals. I run it now with 8qts in it, to the line on the dipstick. No problems now.