Thread: Spark Plug Wires

Cole Sanger
    Today is my day to ask a lot of dumb questions. I have these Taylor 8mm spark plug wires. They come with the boots that go on the distributor seperate from the wires. Anyway, I bought a spark plug wire crimper, so I can attach the connectors. The problem is that I can not get the connector through the boot. They are super tight. I put the electric grease in them, but still no luck. Is this just normal? Are they always just super tight and hard to get through the boot? This is the first time I have ever tried to do this. Thanks for the help.

david_396
    Yes there tight fit going in the boot. I used dish soap

Cole Sanger
    Hey there. How's that Sanger I sold you doing? Haven't seen any pictures of it, or heard anything about it in a long time. Wow, I just hijacked my own thread.

Moneypitt
    Yep, un diluted dishsoap works for me as well..........MP

fltflyn
    wd-40 works great and easy to clean up. spray in boot and slip wire through then put end on.

Cole Sanger
    So you put the wire through the boot all the way, crimp on the connector and pull it back? I was thinking of doing that, but it is hard enough to get the wire through the end, much less make the 90 degree turn. Is this the right way to do it though? Because maybe with the WD or soap I could make it through. Thanks again.

CrazyHippy
    I've always assembled the wires outside of the boot, then pushed them into the boot. Once you get the head in, you can use a small screwdriver to help pull the wire and end in.
    Dialectric grease works well.
    BJ(i dont know if that made any sense at all)H

DUECE'SDAD
    I always use wd-40, and the idea you just gave to put the end on first and use the rigidness of it to grab with some small needle nose sounds awesome, I have to shorten my taylors up this week and will try crimping the end on first that sounds good.

Moneypitt
    I take the un cut wire through the boot, needle nose to grab the end, then cut off to length. If the needle nose damage the end, so what, I'm going to cut it off anyway.......The idea of pulling on the connector to pull the wire through worries me, it could damage the connection in a way that may not be seen.......MP