Thread: Want to Run Gen 7 EFI, ? 02 Sensor

TJS
    I am going to convert a tunnel ram to EFI. I will be TIGing together an upper box with a 90mm Ford throttle body. What my concern is what to do with a 02 sensor if you have water injected headers. I was thinking of not feeding one tube and and or rereouting the one line to farther "up" the header. I am running Basset OT with a BBC. I eventually will be twin turboing with a water intercooler I will fabricate.Thus,I will run them dry when I do that when the time comes.
    Here is an example of one of the first upper intake plenums I made. I learned a lot on this one.
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/eatonm112.htm
    Thanks.
    T.J.

Squirtin Thunder
    WTF
    Is there such a thing as Gen 7 yet ???

TJS
    Sorry, Gen 7 is a stand alone Accel EFI/DFI package. It comes with wire harness and ECM with sensors. You supply the laptop.
    T.J.

Nubbs
    Why do you want to put the O2 sensor in? Does the ECU need the sensor? I would just run the motor in open loop and not worry about any O2 feedback. Closed loop really doesn't do much anyways. If you're using the sensor as a tuning tool, that's a different story.
    Nubbs

TJS
    Why do you want to put the O2 sensor in? Does the ECU need the sensor? I would just run the motor in open loop and not worry about any O2 feedback. Closed loop really doesn't do much anyways. If you're using the sensor as a tuning tool, that's a different story.
    Nubbs
    Yup an O2 is required and I will be tuning with data logging and feedback. I want it to be speed density (no Mass Air meter) so I need the 02.
    T.J.

Yup an O2 is required and I will be tuning with data logging and feedback. I want it to be speed density (no Mass Air meter) so I need the 02.
    T.J.
    I dont know about the particular ECU you plan to use but "speed/density" systems do not require an O2 sensor. They use manifold pressure and engine rpm to determine fuel requirement.. Speed/density systems were around long before O2 sensors.
    Since you aren't running cats, you really dont need the O2 sensors or feedback control. The O2 sensors used on current road vehicles are there to assure the proper exhaust gas chemistry getting to the cats, so that the cats can operate at peak efficiency. I can understand using an O2 for tuning purposes, but only if you are using the modern style of O2 sensor. Unlike the early type, the new ones provide a linear output that provides a much wider range of accuracy. Early ones were only accurate in a narrow range near "stoichiometric". Outside of that range they only could tell if the mixture was rich or lean, but not how rich or how lean. Neither type takes kindly to being subjected to water(or coolant).
    A real good person to get ahold of here on ***boat would be "Unchained". He is running a twin-turbo, EFI BBC much like what you are looking at.

robsquezn
    if u havent bought the efi unit yet u might whant to do your self a faver & check out BIG STUFF 3........we run them in race cars & we are putting one on a twin turbo boat as we speak.. way more bang for your buck $$ it also comes with a 12 band data log built in. i have a real good hook up on them i can beat anny buddys price$ robsquezn@sbcglobal.net (916)743-2606