Thread: dennis moore question on pcv.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Thanks for the help but I am still a little foggy in the brain. Would the excessive oil spitting out from the breather be caused from TOO much oil in the pan. When I pulled the dipstick it looked like it had 2 quarts over. Also Do you think I should try 2 pcv's? I was at work(autozone) to day and I saw a pcv that looked like a breather. Should I run one of these? What about an evac set up like the race boats exiting out through my over transom headers? I am trying to get rid of the mess I have. I know that the last time I took it out it only spit a little bit of oil out but I was ok with that but I also had just enough oil in the pan. I am installing baffles in the valve covers tomorrow to reduce the spitting. What do you think? I just want to run for 1 more month and then it will get a new engine. I have a new one lined up already but I still want to run while its still hot here in arizona.
    Thanks Michael

Dennis Moore
    If you have good compression then I think that you probably overfilled the oil pan.
    Only hook up one PCV to the intake manifold/valve cover for evacuating crankcase fumes at idle and hook up one breather to the flame arrestor/valve cover for evacuating crankcase fumes above idle.
    I am sure that using fast moving exhaust gases to evacuate crankcase fumes from the crankcase is a little better than using the flame arrestor but I wonder if that isn't a little overkill considering how much work and expense that would be!
    Mercruiser High Performance big blocks don't use exhaust gases to evacuate the crank case fumes and they seem to work just fine!
    Sincerely
    Dennis Moore

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I have one hole in each valve cover. One has a PCV on one side. The other valve cover has A breather filter. I am trying to understand what you are talking about on the flame arrestor.

flat broke
    396, what he is talking about is a on the breather you can use a unit that instead of being an open canister to vent the crankcase fumes into the engine compartment air, you can get a breather with a 3/8 or so tube on it that will allow you to connect the breather cap to the spark arrestor which would then pull the PCV gases into the carb to be run out the exhaust during the normal combustion cycle.
    The other thing you could do which would be pretty slick is to use a Moroso Vacum pump, to actively purge the crank case fumes. Plumb the pump to a puke tank and then instead of running a breather out of the puke tank, run another hose out through a through hull fitting above the water line. The tank would act as a trap to collect the oil out of the fumes and let it condense back down, while the gas would be expelled out the through hull fitting, thus not stinking up your engine compartment (closed hatch applications), and scavenging the most crank case pressure possible. The only drawback would be having to drain the puke tank every now and then so you were blowing oil out the side or back of the boat.
    Chris