Thread: Where to find New Engine ?

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    Hey I'm looking for a reputable company that offers new or rebuilt merc engine to replace my 5.7lx that recently took a dump. Anyone know a good place to buy marine engines and also someone in Southern California who installs . The outdrive is not needed since the Bravo One is o.k. I'm looking for something stock that I can just drop in. Anyone had experience doing this before. The boat is a 1982 21" Tahiti Carribean and if the engine replacement becomes too expensive, I'll have to sell the boat or wait till next season before I can even think of getting back on the water. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Rubths
    Why dont you have your motor rebuilt? I had a 7.4 chevy rebuilt at Wholesale Automotive Machines for $2,000 and it included sleeving the block where the wrist pin punched a hole. They are in San Diego give them a call and ask for Rick 619-281-1400

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    I was thinking about rebuilding at first untill I started asking around to get an idea of how much it would cost. Took the boat to a shop in Havasu and after a week they told me it would cost them about $3,000 to rebuild the engine. The block is not cracked but 2-3 pistons/cylinders have been damaged by a piece that broke off a valve. I did a little research on the net and found several companies offering complete rebuilt engine for around the $2,000 range and figured that for the price this guy is asking I could almost have a brand bew engine. I will call these guys in San Diego and find out what they can do for me. I think $2,000 to rebuild your engine is very reasnable cost and hop ethey can help me out also. I really appreciate the input.
    p.s. How long did they take to get the engine installed and do they give any guarantee.
    Thanks
    [ August 07, 2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Day Cruiser ]

djdtpr
    Get a hold of me i can help u out or atleast give u some options my number is 760-485-1291

Rubths
    They stand behind there motors with a warranty! I can only say great things about this shop and Rick Barkely is a exellent motor builder!

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    Thanks for the input guys -
    As soon as I get the boat back from Havasu I will be taking it up to Wholesale Automotive Machines. talked to one of the guys there today and they seemed very knowledgable and the price was fairly reasonable. The only thing I have to do is pull the engine and get it shipped to them. Anyhow pulling the engine doesn't bother me much but rigging the new engine I would feel better having someone with experience do this.
    djdplacecraft - Thanks for the offer to help, I've been meaning to call you but have been pretty swamped at work. As soon as I get some time I'll give you a ring.

Trash
    I don't have any experience with them, but try Quality Performance Marine in Corona. They do repowers. 1-909-735-5503.