Thread: Water in fuel?

78Eliminator
    I was adjusting my floats and found little droplets of water in my fuel bowls. Is a little water in your fuel acceptable?
    Justin

blowngas
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 78Eliminator:
    [QB]I was adjusting my floats and found little droplets of water in my fuel bowls. Is a little water in your fuel acceptable?
    from working in the refining industry, all gasolines have water in them---so will diesel, other fuel oils, ect.----this is known as saturation---(yeah, gas and water will not mix) but again, all carbon fuels contain some water molecules, and under the right conditions, they will condense, accumulate, and whala!!!--you now have free standing water in your gasoline---you can tell by a build up on the spark plug electrode if you have an abundant water problem---you can solve it by running a water separator filter in your fuel system, you can get them from any diesel injection shop (can't run any water in diesel fuel, water won't compress, and the pump breaks) keep an extra filter on board if problems become severe---put it back together and go have fun!!!

Flat Screwd
    A friend of mine has been plaged by water in the tank for quite a while then he bought some water eater . I dont know what it does but it worked for him.

river-rat
    I think you can get condensantion in the fuel tank and that is where the water comes from. I heard from someone that you should keep your fuel tank full during the off season to prevent this. If you have a water seperating fuel filter, no worries. If you don't, you can try that water absorber or install a filter. Pretty easy if you can locate the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.
    To answer your question, I don't think any water is good.

79Hawaiian
    I had a problem with water but in my motorhome, not a boat. I put a brand spankin new holley replacement carb on my dodge 440 and it ran great for about 1 week. It then started to run like shit. I took it to a good mechanic and he found a quart of water in the rear tank. The water got into the carb and a white powder oxidation powder formed in the bowl. The powder then clogged the jets and made it run like crap. Had to drain the tank and rebuild the carb.
    I have not had any problems with water in my boat. I don't know if I have never had water in my tanks or if it passed without causing any problems. Seems to me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Then again I see lots of people selling boats that have "new tanks". Water in your tanks can rust them out.

blowngas
    Hey guys, I know beer is the priority for the weekend, same goes for me, but consider some sort of water knockout filter, they make them big, screw on, easy to install, (you can even get differential indicators to tell that the filter is doing its job and is starting to stop up) and they keep you on the water having fun and not having to ask your buddy for a tow---so if u ain't got one, do yourself a favor and get one--and enjoy the beer

78Eliminator
    Who makes a good filter/separater?
    [ August 16, 2002, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Jordy
    78Eliminator:
    Who makes a good filter/separater?Go with a Wix, or even a Napa, I'll get the number off it in a minute for you...
    Jordy

Jordy
    Napa #3123 is what is on my boat, which should translate to a 33123 in a Wix #.
    Jordy