Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing Question

canuck1
    Holy Moly
    locking out your timing only works if your rpm is constantly above your timing dial in point. it works for you cause of the fuel you run but for most lake boats(heavy and loaded up) they will get major detonation if they try it.
    I agree with you on the power thing but my boat is lite and doesn't have to work to get on plane

HM
    canuck1:
    Holy Moly
    locking out your timing only works if your rpm is constantly above your timing dial in point. it works for you cause of the fuel you run but for most lake boats(heavy and loaded up) they will get major detonation if they try it.
    I agree with you on the power thing but my boat is lite and doesn't have to work to get on planeOpinions are all over the map regarding this. I just try it and see if it works. It is really cheap low end power and I have seen it work in most cases on pump gas(91). Actually, I have not seen it not work - even locked out at 28, you still make a ton more power - and it is basically free!
    Now if you run 87, you will start to have some predetonation and should have your boat taken away from you!
    I am not sure what you mean by timing dial point? When it is locked out, you set the timing while it is idling - no need to rev it as there is no advance.

canuck1
    dial point
    the rpm that your total advance comes in at on a non locked dist....sorry

Froggystyle
    Not to be contrary, but I just added a mechanical advance to PTL's boat, and got far improved starting, much better idle manners and no noticed performance decrease. I don't have mine locked out either, and it idles and behaves like a stocker.
    In a blown application, I agree that the locked out advance brought in early is a major good deal. It works better and the blower motor likes it. I had that on my Daytona.
    Jerry and I are running better gas than we need to. I just have not seen the performance increase to warrant the low rpm issues.
    Squirts up!

Bahner tunnel
    Would the "locked out " set up work on a motor with 12.5 comp. as long as you were running high enough octane gas ? It seems it would be more likely to detonate with that much timing off of idle because of the high load a jet boat motor sees when planing out . This sounds pretty trick if it will work in my application .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12