Thread: block work for stroker crank????

Nowwhat
    I would like to put a stroker crank in my GM block. It is a 4 bolt block std. bore and need some input on the clearance for the crank. I have asked some machine shops and they said i shouldnt do it on the gm blocks unless i am going to 1/4 fill the block. Is this true and will i run into any problems without filling the block? Nothing serious, just a 550-600 hp engine N/A tunnel ram deal.
    Thanks

Moneypitt
    It is not the HP that limits stroke, its the stroke....Grinding out clearances for long legged strokes could/will reduce the strength of the block, but reasonalble, 4.25 strokes do not require that much grinding. Anything longer, could have an effect on web strength.....I'm sure there are more than one guy here who has direct experience with what you intend to do.......MP

cdog
    I've done it with a 454 LS6 block for a 4.25 stroke with H beam rods. The block just needed a little grinding and I never had a problem with it. The engine saw 7000 rpm a couple of times in my schiada v-drive and never failed.
    You might want to get a set of those lunati I beam pro rods. they look a little less bulky than H beams........ There may be a little less to grind...and they're one hell of a strong rod. Made in the USA.

Nowwhat
    Thanks for the responce guys, Im going to go 4.25 and i allready have the lunati pro rods in the shop. Now I just need a crank. We have ran the cola cranks in the drag cars for years and with no problems, but I would like some input on cranks too? I want to stay away from the CAT SCAT EAGLE stuff and go for a bullit proof bottom end.
    Any thoughts on cranks?
    Thanks.

If the block is a GEN 6 you won't have any clearance issues. If it is a Gen 4 or 5 you will have some mild grinding.
    Lunati, Callies both have a "Sportsman" crank that runs in the $1300 range. Scat has a nice series that they do all the finish work on the forging from China, it runs around $1000.

cdog
    Thanks for the responce guys, Im going to go 4.25 and i allready have the lunati pro rods in the shop. Now I just need a crank. We have ran the cola cranks in the sprint cars for years and with no problems, but I would like some input on cranks too? I want to stay away from the CAT SCAT EAGLE stuff and go for a bullit proof bottom end.
    Any thoughts on cranks?
    Thanks, Troy
    I've got the callies dragon slayer crank. Fonse says it's good stuff made in the USA and is real strong. He puts them in 1200HP blower/turbo engines. He's also the guy who does all the test engines for Procharger, so he know what he's talking about. Buy the Made in USA parts.....Talk to Al at fonse performance in NJ. Tell him Corey sent ya.