Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: closed bow to open bow

tamalewagon
    Anyone on here ever do this? I want to take my closed bow California Performance and make it an opened bow. What's the price damage range? I already called California Performance and he just wants to sell me a new hull. I love the boat and don't want to get rid of it, but I want to fit a few more people in the boat. Suggestions?

Water Romper
    I think when open bows first came out, the manufactures used to just cut open the closed bows because they did not have molds made. Not sure if they still do this…there may be some “integrity” issue with the strength of the hull etc….Sounds like it would be expensive…
    Knowing the H/B forums...you will get several hits. If you go forward, post the pic's

rivercrazy
    Don't do it! Water taxi duty ain't fun
    Plus you will loose a lot of top end by placing too much weight forward in the boat. I doubt that hull was designed for this purpose

Riverkid
    We used to just measure and tape off the deck, cut it off, and then make all the wood puzzle pieces to fit the dash walk through, front kickpanels, etc. and go to town with the glass. I wouldn't do it to your boat 'cause the CG difference will totally screw up your ride... Easier to prolly buy a new hull. The molded bowrider deck will be a stronger piece.
    HTH. Good luck.

Phat Daddy
    Don't do it! Water taxi duty ain't fun
    Plus you will loose a lot of top end by placing too much weight forward in the boat. I doubt that hull was designed for this purpose
    Yeah, I second that. I just don't think that hull was designed for that. Be careful because some shops will say anything to get your $$$. That's a lot of extra weight up front. :frown:

Riverkid
    Anyway, IIRC, the CA Perf deck was so low that if you tried to drop the bow upholstery in the seat backrests would only be around 8" high (you'll lose 3: for the cushion height plus whatever pedestal goes underneath for legroom...

boater72
    Anyway, IIRC, the CA Perf deck was so low that if you tried to drop the bow upholstery in the seat backrests would only be around 8" high (you'll lose 3: for the cushion height plus whatever pedestal goes underneath for legroom...
    I was thinking the same thing. If it's a gull wing I would be afriad that a wave would come over what would have been the deck and fill the open bow and sink the boat?

tamalewagon
    Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going family boat. Shiat!

Man-de-lone
    Sawzall!!!!!

Phat Daddy
    Sawzall!!!!!
    Man -de, I see you have 18 post. Everyones going to think your a newbie or something. :notam:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast