Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carb tuning

76elimspecial
    Ok Got My Eliminator With Freshly Rebuilt 460 (everything New) Out For The Test Run Yesterday. When Accelerating Through Low Rpm's 1000-3400 It Lags And Sputters. Even Once You Get The R's Up You Can Hear It Fluctuating Probably 100 R's. It Seems Once The Secondaries Open All Is Good. Plugs Don't Look Too Black. Seems To Me It Is Runnin Lean. Is That A Goood Guess??? Oh Yeah Accelerats Fine On The Trailer Without A Load On It. It Has A Holley 800dp. Motor Is Approx 500hp, Mild Cam, Performer Rpm Manifold. Any Ideas??

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm suspecting rich in the primaries. The seccondaries may be OK and be "fixing" the problem WOT but the missand surging I suspect. Make sure there are no vaccume leaks. Drop the primaries 2 jet sizes and drive some more.

FHI-prez
    Well since it is possible that it is LEAN and it is possible that is it RICH (among other things of course). I would suggest going up a couple of sizes and see what happens, not down. You don't want to run a new motor lean! If you go up two sizes in the jets and it gets worse, then you might want to go down a size or two from where you started. But I would not recommend assuming that it's rich and leaning it out. You won't hurt anything by running it too rich. You can hurt a LOT of things by running it too lean. I know you probably wouldn't run it too long, but since it's really a crap shoot, I'd err on the side of caution. Checking for vacuum leaks is a good idea like he said too. Check timing. Check vacuum to dist if it's vacuum advance, that sort of thing. I seriously doubt you are running too rich in the primaries if the jets in the carb are stock. But I guess anything is possible, the 460's do like the drink tho.
    Nick

76elimspecial
    Thanks For The Info Guys. After Looking Into It A Little I Think Its Probably Runin Rich Cause The Primaries Arent Stock. But I Do Think Its A Good Idea To Move Up First So I Dont Make The Mistake Of Runin Too Lean. Thanks.

Wally_Gator
    Does the fluctuation of 100 r's happen under load?
    If so, you may want to look at the power valve. You may need to change it.
    Get a vaccum gauge and check your cruising vaccum and get the appropriate power valves..
    Sounds like you may have mroe than one thing goin on here.

76elimspecial
    Ill Check That Too. Thanks. Should Get Er Done Today.

Wally_Gator
    Ill Check That Too. Thanks. Should Get Er Done Today.
    Git'R'Done....

SmokinLowriderSS
    Good call FHI. :smile: It is best to err on the safer side. If he makes ir worse going richer he STILL knows which way to go next, and nothing is broke.

Captain no fun
    Yes, do your tuning with a vacuum gauge. If you're runnung holleys, make sure you have a number on your power valves at least a couple of #'s below your cruise vacuum point. Ex. if you cruise @ 3000 RPM 12" Hg, you want a power valve # 10. That way when your vacuum drops a couple of points, you get more fuel then. How does it idle?

76elimspecial
    Yes, do your tuning with a vacuum gauge. If you're runnung holleys, make sure you have a number on your power valves at least a couple of #'s below your cruise vacuum point. Ex. if you cruise @ 3000 RPM 12" Hg, you want a power valve # 10. That way when your vacuum drops a couple of points, you get more fuel then. How does it idle?
    IT IDLES FINE. JUST GOT BACK. AFTER GOIN DOWN WITH PRIMARIES RAN A LTTLE LEAN , WENT UP 2 WITH PRIMARIES AND DOWN ONE WITH SECONDARIES RUNNIN GOOD ALL THROUGH RPM'S OTHER THAN A HESITATION OUT OF THE HOLE. I THINK THE PRIMARIES ARE A LITTLE RICH, BUT IF I DROP DOWN IM BACK TO WHAT I STARTED WITH?? DIDNT HAVE A VACUUM GUAGE TO CHECK POWER VALVES. GUESS THATS NEXT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast